I think I know the answer, but thought I would try anyway.

I think I know the answer, but thought I would try anyway. Is there a way to have 2 strings on an Arduino Nano (I know that is doable) at two different brightnesses? I am guessing not since it is a #define, but thought I would check. TIA

You can sort of cheat this by adding a color correct to one on the addLeds line. Something like:
FastLED.addLeds<LPD8806, DATA_PIN, CLOCK_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(200,200,200);

You could also use the underlying controllers directly - see https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/wiki/Multiple-Controller-Examples and look at the definitions in controller.h directly (this is a less supported option, in part because I want to be able to change the controller interface - so using it directly is considered an advance usage that might change/break in the future)

Thanks guys. The bad news is I tried the setCorrection command for a second string, and it does not seem to like that series of ints:

FastLED.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_PIN2, COLOR_ORDER>(leds2, NUM_LEDS2).setCorrection(200,200,200);

gives me the error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED-3.1.3/controller.h:133:22: note: candidate expects 1 argument, 3 provided

Using library FastLED-3.1.3 at version 3.1.3 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\FastLED-3.1.3
exit status 1
no matching function for call to ‘CLEDController::setCorrection(int, int, int)’

I’ll try to look at the code to see if there is another way to do what you were recommending, but I am open to suggestions in the meantime.

You need to pass a CRGB object into setCorrection - e.g. setCorrection(CRGB(200,200,200));

Wow, talk about fast response time :slight_smile: !

It builds now, but the brightness looks the same to me as ther other strip. Here are the three commands of interest:
FastLED.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_PIN, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection( TypicalLEDStrip );

FastLED.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_PIN2, COLOR_ORDER>(leds2, NUM_LEDS2).setCorrection(CRGB(200,200,200));

FastLED.setBrightness(  BRIGHTNESS );

OK, I think I have a working solution.

I’ve been using the ColorPallete.ino example as my basis.

Playing around last night, I realized that if I set everything up the normal way but then adjust the line:

leds[i] = ColorFromPalette( currentPalette, colorIndex, brightness, currentBlending);

So that brightness is two different values for the two different strings.

This seems to work perfectly, is there any problem going with this approach?

No problem with doing that. If you get the visual you want that’s what counts.