I see quite a few people with dual extrusion experience here,

I see quite a few people with dual extrusion experience here, as a 3d designer I would like to know which problems people most encounter with designs made for dualstrusion.
And regarding the common oozing, wouldn’t “crap” pillars next to the print help a lot?
Something like :

• print color 1 for the whole layer.
  • move to crap pillar 1
  • retract filament 1,
  • wipe ooze on pillar 1
  • head 2 moves to crap pillar 2
  • run an extrusion 2 to get flow back
  • print the layer with head 2
  • next layer, rinse and repeat?

Would not seem to take much extra time or material.
Only some slicer magic?
And I think the wiping can be synchronized, so it would take even less time.

Any thoughts?

They need to be different objects that don’t intersect.

@Stijn_van_der_Linden Kisslicer already does ‘crap’ pillars. I think it uses the term 'prime pillar though :slight_smile:

@CornGolem Thanks, I am aware of the dual model technique in that respect, but any idea on weather slicers detect problematic overlap, and how clean the “cut” should be?

@Tim_Rastall
Ah thanks! I’ll look in to that! Anyone got experience with Kisslicer pro? Do prime pillars actually work?

No direct experience with pro yet. Ill be buying it once I’ve got my dual extruder big tantillus built in a few months.

The problem is that you still get ooze even after doing a retraction - the retraction really just temporarily delays the ooze not stops. When hot, it’s a liquid and sooner or later its going to run out the nozzle (and repeating the retraction doesn’t really help either).

Wipe pillars would not solve the ooze problem but is be very helpful for the approach where you cool the inactive extruder below the ooze point at each extruder change (another Kisslicer feature). This really just “cleans up” the nozzle before it restarts printing.