I recently switched to Marlin 2.0

Over the last two weeks I have been playing with Marlin 2.0. I bought an SKR V1.3 board for $20, some TMC5160 drivers for $65, and a RRD Full Graphics Display for $11. After learning platformio to complile Marlin 2.0, and working through a few bugs (had to disable Linear Advance), I am liking the setup. The drivers are almost silent when in Stealthchop2, but I run hybrid mode so it goes to spreadcycle above 100mm/s to avoid skipping steps. I might pickup a BLTouch and design a new carriage just for fun to enable ABL.

5 Likes

I also forgot to mention, the new control board runs off of an LPC1768 (similar to some of the smoothie boards), so it’s a 32-bit controller that uses the new Marlin 2.0 HAL (hardware obstruction layer) setup.

-Edit: Hardware Abstraction Layer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“hardware obstruction layer” — love it! :slight_smile:

ha, dang phone autocorrect :slight_smile:

Would you mind sharing your RRD Full Graphics Display stl file?

I am struggling to find it. I will have to check my other laptop when I get back from traveling.

2 Likes

No worries. I think I found something that will work.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay, I was out and I had it saved in an odd folder that I couldn’t get to remotely. It is up on the Github now. Note my frame is a V1.5 not V2, So I it will need modifications for clearance on Spider V2. I will try to work something up over the next few days. But here are the files for now:

1 Like

Just noticed you had posted this. Thanks!

I’m getting close to releasing the version 2.5 that I am working on. That one has a better layout for the BTT TFT35 v3 which has the button alongside, versus below. So it fits a lot better.

2 Likes

Ok Cool. I need to get the screen mounted to frame. I had trouble with the wiring and every time I flipped the printer over the screen would go flying. HAHA

@Eclsnowman I’ve been considering switching my smoothieboard over to Marlin 2.0 recently myself. Do you have any idea why you had to disable linear advance? That was primarily one of the reasons I was looking to switch since it should make working with prusa slicer easier for petg filaments (I think?).

I’m using linear advance on Marlin 2.0.4.4 on my corexy FWIW

1 Like

In the early bugfix of Marlin 2.0 back when I made the switch there was a compatibility issue. That’s been resolved since then. Also at the time I made the switch I was trying TMC 5160s, but now that they’re out my preference would be the 2209’s. I fried my 5160s doing something dumb, So I ended up using some old LV8729 I had laying around. They actually ended up working pretty good, but I would still prefer 2209’s now.

1 Like

Ah ok thanks for the clarification.

Guess I know what I’m doing after this print finishes… Compiling Marlin for smoothieboard!

1 Like