I realize this is more FastLED adjacent but as this supports hardware that uses

I realize this is more FastLED adjacent but as this supports hardware that uses FastLED under the hood and that a lot of the inspiration for this is FastLED it seemed relevant :slight_smile: Many thanks again to this entire community!

Announcing BiblioPixel v3.0

For nearly a year, we have been working on a radical rewrite of the already popular BiblioPixel 2, our pure Python pixel animation framework, and now we are proud to finally announce the availability of that mountain of work. BiblioPixel 3.0 is faster, cleaner, stronger, happier and in every conceivable way better than it’s predecessor. You will go from zero to blinking lights in under 20 seconds!

What’s new? Just to name a few highlights…

• Full Python 3.4+ support! (In fact we dropped Python 2 support)
  • Near complete core rewrite that’s faster than ever!
  • Run BiblioPixel with nothing more than a config file, zero code!
  • SimPixel, our all-new WebGL based visualizer. Get started with no hardware at all!
  • Tight integration with BiblioPixelAnimations, our repository of pre-made animations.

Even with all this, it’s still about 90% compatible with all your old code and only requires minimal modifications.

install now.

This looks great, do you think it’s possible to use or on an ESP32 with micropython?

@Jeremy_Spencer - I have not tried though since it is now Py3 compliant it’s closer than before. I’m not sure what MicroPython is missing though so I couldn’t say right now. My guess is there would have to be a BiblioPixel “lite” to make it work.

Cool, thank you, I’ve got a load of ES32s I’ll try and find time to play with it.

Definitely. Keep me updated if you get anything working. Happy to provide what help I can. I need to play with the ESP32 as well but it’s several rows down on my list at the moment… too many other projects / products to get out the door.

@Jeremy_Spencer Judging by this [1] I would say that it certainly won’t be compatible out of the box. Especially with this new version we use a lot of fancy new Python 3 stuff that looks like it didn’t make it into uPy. And that’s just BP, not even counting in it’s many dependencies.
In all honesty, if you were to want to make a uPy BP fork I would start from the BP 2.1.x code-base instead. It’s MUCH simpler and has fewer dependencies. Also, all the drivers would have to be rewritten to use the uPy hardware interface layer.

[1] https://github.com/micropython/micropython/wiki/Differences