I noticed on my last few prints that my printer isn't holding nozzle temp

Yeah, that’s the one I was referring to. They’re nichrome wire, with ceramic filling, and a stainless outer sleeve. Glad to hear they work well; ordering a couple now.

I’ve got a couple like that (came with qu-bd extruders) that I could try. What’s the best way to remove muffler putty? :slight_smile:

Very carefully. (But for serious…with a knife/screw driver…scraping it off. Unlikely you’ll be able to recover the resistor-based heater)

I’m fine with killing the resistor. I have one dead j-head that I could try this out on, although it sort of “backfired” and is somewhat encased in PLA (or something else that melted) so I’m not sure I can save all the parts, but at least I could cut my teeth on it before I rip apart my “working” nozzle.

@Jason_Gullickson , to clean the hotend I hook the heater/resistor to a 12v supply (old laptop supply) or my controller (Ramps) while the hotend is in a vise. Easy to dismantle an clean with cloth/fabric then.

Dismantle > disassemble :)

Thanks for the tip @Tom_Oyvind_Hogstad ; I did something similar in the oven with my old Makergear hot-end, hoping that the temperature was accurate enough to melt the pla but not the higher-temp plastics of the barrel, etc.