I need your advice guys, about fabric material any minimum thickness laser can engraving?

I need your advice guys, about fabric material any minimum thickness laser can engraving? Before i built one.

Well you have to keep in mind that when you are engraving fabric with a laser you are actually burning the fibers. So it just depends on how dark the engrave needs to be. If your burn the fibers too much the material will probably fall apart.

Ned Hill , thanks your explanation about burning the fabric

I’ve played around engraving on denim & some denim it works well to leave a white engrave, but other denims I used just turned to a pile of dust (at the same settings). So you definitely want to use super lower power & fast engrave speeds.

Interesting thought to consider though I would just use the laser to cut the fabric versus engraving on to it.

@Jonathan_Davis_Leo_L It works well for cutting small fabric pieces (that fit in your work area). Although you have to watch with certain fabrics (e.g. nylon/polyester) as they just want to melt/burn. I’d imagine without air-assist going it could be problematic. As far as I’m aware, lower powered diode lasers work better for engraving onto fabrics like denim (bleaches the colour out of the section engraved). The CO2 laser seems maybe a bit overpowered for this purpose. Maybe someone with a diode laser can give it a test & see how it goes.

@Yuusuf_Sallahuddin_Y I do have a diode laser via a chinese made system form Gearbest. Though i have still yet to figure out how to install the endstops.

@Jonathan_Davis_Leo_L Cool, well if you get around to testing on denim/fabric I’d love to see results.

@Yuusuf_Sallahuddin_Y I will definitely work on seeing what happens and the results posted as a video and blog post.

@Jonathan_Davis_Leo_L
@Yuusuf_Sallahuddin_Y
I’m too happy to see the result if you test, just some word with square border around.

@adam_ian ok and if it were to be done I would use cheep material found on a clearance rack.

@adam_ian I don’t remember exactly, but I feel like I posted some test on denim about a year ago. I will see if I can find it in my old posts.

@adam_ian I found my posts of it. There is 2 where I shared my attempts lasering denim 48 weeks ago… So, almost a year back.

See here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+YuusufSallahuddinYSCreations/posts/8AHdPNZdWsr

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+YuusufSallahuddinYSCreations/posts/DPzfJvVT7xJ