I need some help about WS2811 power supply.

I need some help about WS2811 power supply.

As shown below, I hooked up 120 LED with a separate 5V/2.4A adapter to work with a NODEMCU ESP-12E with a 5V/500mA from my computer. This is is working fine.

However, when I removed 5V/500mA from the setup and connected NODEMCU 5V/GND to draw power from 5V/2.4A, the CPU, jump wires all got heat up and I smelled the burning…

What should I do to safely to provide NODEMCU 5V power with only one 5V/2.4A power adapter?

Be careful you didn’t connect them in reverse, most ICs get hot and draw all the current when connected in reverse. The overheating may damage them too.

Joel, what’s the the proper way to connect when I only have a 5V/2.4A power adapter? Thanks!

Which pin on the nodemcu did you connect the 5v?

@Jason_Coon I was connected the VIN pin to the 5V/2.4A adapter. This is the 5V pin, correct?

@Kevin_Chen - Have you measured the voltage of your power supply? Is it actually 5 V?

Yeah, VIN should be the correct pin for 5V. Definitely measure the output voltage of your power supply, and maybe share some pics of your connections?

Please provide a link to the actual MCU that you are using.

@Jeremy_Spencer https://einstronic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/NodeMCU-ESP8266-ESP-12E-Catalogue.pdf It’s NODEMCU ESP-12E.

@Ken_White Thanks! I never thought about that. Let me double check first.

Suggested by a friend, I connected the power from a power supply. Strangely, the overheat issue was gone. So, it must be the power adapter! Thanks for you all to look into this for me! What a great community! :slight_smile:

Hi All, thanks for the suggestions provided. I found the final cause of this. I connected 5V + and - reversed to cause this issue! Ha…ha…

@Joel_Byrnes You were right about the inverse connection on the adapter! Thank you!

Make common ground

@Syed_Atif_Hashmi yes, the LED and Nodemcu have common ground. Thanks!