I need help making a recommendation to a friend who wants to buy a

I need help making a recommendation to a friend who wants to buy a $500(ish) printer. He doesnt want to build it himself, wants something ready to go. Should I recommend the $599 Printrbot Simple Metal (from @Adafruit_Industries ) or the $599 UP Mini (from Amazon)? I have an UP Plus 2 that I absolutely love, but I think if I was looking of a $500 printer the Printrbot Simple Metal is what I would probably look at first, what do you think?

PrintrBot is a great recommendation. I have one of the wood kit versions, and I’ve not been disappointed at all.

PrintrBot

PintrBot is a good choice. But I don’t have any experience with other printers in this price range.

Definitely the printrbot metal. It kicks butt.

wow, thanks for the quick feedback guys. Anybody had any experiences with the UP Mini? Seen it in action or know anyone with one?

Given that the Printrbot has a slightly larger build volume (150x150x150 vs 120x120x120) and is more amenable to post purchase upgrades/changes, I’d recommend that one if I were you. The think about ‘first printers’ is that if you use them they will tell you what you really want in a printer leading to a ‘second’ printer. If you can morph the first into the second you’ll save money down the road, if you cannot you’re out a printer.

Printrbot simple metal.

Printrbot are super high quality and having auto bed leveling is super helpful for beginners. Not to mention the print and build quality.

Thanks for all the help and feedback guys, I showed him your responses and that convinced him, he ordered a Printrbot Metal from @Adafruit_Industries (which had the cheapest price beating amazon by like $200)

this turned out to be good advice almost 3 years ago