I made this. I've been waiting for the guy I got much of the

I made this. I’ve been waiting for the guy I got much of the parts from to open so I can get a reduction collet for dremel bits. Then it occurred to me I have a lathe and made this in stainless steel. Used two screws to balance it. But I’d like some feedback. Those little suckers coming out at 10000+ rpm is not exactly something I want to be around for. Thoughts?

Rather than add mass, try removing mass.

Or maybe I could supply a useful comment instead of some stupid reply. :stuck_out_tongue:
Dremel does sell a collet system. Any chance you could make that work for you?

use set screws

@Paul_Frederick much cheaper than buying something only to reverse engineer it. :slight_smile:

I made similar tool utilising the dremell/proxxon collet system. I drilled the hole for the collets and threaded the outside for the collet nut.

They do clamp down the bits. I can cut them down on the lathe to be more stubby. I was thinking of using internal screws like the pulleys have but making it more complicated than just buying the collet is pointless right?

Apparently I’m the king of contradiction. But it does look and feel more like a tool now

It was just the 1st dremel tool in the box that didn’t look like it had been savaged.

Yup I got a couple of those the other day.

I have done 2.5d carving with a drimel rotary bur bit for the finish pass at .005 inch (.125mm) allowance material left after using a flat bottom 1/8 inch (3mm) bit for the rough pass… The results were OK but the Dremel bit was scrap after

@Alex_Krause
I was looking for 3mm end mills last night. Oddly 1/8th inch is a lot more popular. Now I’m wondering if the little bit bigger 1/8th inch is over 3mm is why, or if it is just because of the US market? I mean is 1/8th actually better? Or is it more because of economic reasons? 1/8th inch is actually 3.175mm. So slightly bigger. I ended up buying a set of small metric end mills that has a 3mm in it. I still might get some 1/8th inch cutters though.

@Paul_Frederick ​ if you are in the USA check out eBay seller drillman1 you can find all his products by typing seller:drillman1 in the search… Good prices on all sorts of carbide and high-speed steel endmills

Honestly (And I concede I’m a noob) but the makita is so much quieter than the dremel tool that that alone should make you want to switch. So much so that the cat didn’t even wake up sleeping on a chair in the workshop. Other than that the cutting ability of the trimmer vs the dremel is day and night. (I did change the steppers from 17’s to 23’s with propper drivers as well) the machine didn’t blink to cut 2mm slots in wood the dremel nearly died with 0,5mm cuts.

@Alex_Krause
I don’t buy on ebay. I used to, but shipping got too expensive. I don’t even have an active Paypal account anymore.

What I did realise about this tool is that I can take smaller drill bits e.g. 4mm turn down the back of the shank on the lathe and use this tool as an adapter for smaller bits.