I made it quite some time without having to touch any firmware,

I made it quite some time without having to touch any firmware, but I’ve just switched my hotend and finally need to make a change in configuration.h. Do I actually need to find the original source files for my firmware and recompile a new version with the changed value, or is there some way to open up what is currently saved on the board?

What firmware are u using?

I’m running Marlin on a printrboard.

There’s no way to turn the code on the chip back into source code. Most of the information is thrown away in the process of compiling. You can use M503 to read out a few of the critical settings, though.

You’ll need to compile. However, are you sure you have to change something in configuration.h? A lot of the values are exposed and saved in memory

Thanks! Since I switched from an Ubis hotend to an e3D v6 I need to change the temp sensor value to 5.

Oh, also, is there somewhere I can see what version of marlin is currently saved on the board, so I can get the right version of the source?

I found a compiled version of exactly what I needed over on the printrbot forums.