I left my printer off for a couple months and came back today to

I left my printer off for a couple months and came back today to check on it. The print came out looking like I had never seen it before. What would be the cause of this?

Underextrusion may be possible or the filament may have gotten wet. Does anyone recognize the symptoms in the photos?

Thanks!

Moisture in the fillament could be the issue, however i have never seen it this bad. Maybe your nozzle is clogged?

I had the same issue but only after letting my filament in open air for 1 month but it wasn’t that bad

Tou didn’t say what filament you used. PLA is forgiving but PC and nylon will hate you if you leave them out and don’t dry them.

@Duncan_Gunn @Mano_Biletsky_Open_M This is ABS that was left for about a year in the open.

Yeah. You should probably dry it. Allthough i’ve never done it myself, i believe a couple of hours in a 60 degrees (celsius) oven should do the trick

I invested in a couple of sealable storage containers for any open spools of filament that I’m not using. Leave a cheap humidity gauge from pet store with dessacant in the container. I can see the humidity gauge thru the container so I know when the dessacant needs to be dried out again.

When it’s time to dry the dessacant out you can pop it in the microwave on defrost for 10mins.

For filament that was been left out too long your going to need to dehydrate it. U can do it in the oven but be careful because u can end up melting/deforming the spool. Best choice is a filament/food dehydrator. I bought this one:
Presto 06301 Dehydro Digital Electric… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H2OEKK?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H2OEKK?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thanks!

I’ll try and dry it in the oven in a week or so! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Dust/moisture?

@Aaron_Spaulding Check your setting first regarding filament diameter. It happened to me after sometime of inactivity with the printer totally unplugged. the filament diameter setting shifted back to 2.85. Dont know why but it just did. My printouts looked exactly like those and if you sqeeze them it feels like squeezing wafers. Don’t know maybe it’s worth checking.

Filament diameters may vary too.