I have Laserweb4 running on a Ramps 1.4/Arduino 2560/Marlin and I am brand new

I have Laserweb4 running on a Ramps 1.4/Arduino 2560/Marlin and I am brand new at all of this. What I am wanting is rastering but try as hard as I may I can’t seem to get good results. I am practicing on fibrous cardboard (cracker boxes) and wondering if there is anyone who can help in doing a workflow for a 2.5W blue laser. I have dithered and it always shows the dithering marks but I have seen, on youtube, pictures done that made my jaw drop via dithering.

Any help is really appreciated and if you need anymore info about anything just ask because I am getting nowheres after five days.

Hi. I am using a ramps 1.4 with gnea firmware, grbl 1.1 and dio de láser, 2.5W. Grbl is better for raster.
Ley me know if you want to test it and I will look for the link of the firmware. Last revisión is from August or September.

@Roberbike please share it.

@Roberbike I will have a go since I can easily flash Marlin back if I need to.

Since I have a 2560 is this it? https://github.com/gnea/grbl-Mega/ What
do I do after I flash it?

Here is my best on this laser with dithering which looks worse to the eye
than it does in this picture.

@The_Best_Stooge @Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty
Flash the oficial firmware for ramps :

Changue $32=1 to activate laser mode.
config laserweb to use M4 , dynamic laser power.
Configure your machine and laserweb, see 2.1 Initial Configuration GRBL 1.1 · LaserWeb/LaserWeb4 Wiki · GitHub

@Roberto Fernandez I was reading the wiki on it and it said I needed to go into the zip and use grbl-xxx in the Arduino library but there is no such creature in the zip and I can’t find it to add it.

@The_Best_Stooge download the zip and unzip it. you can see 3 folders inside:
build
doc
grbl

open arduino +program+ input library+add zip
look betwen unzip files and select grbl, only select it, then select open.

in main menu: files+samples+grbl+grblupload

A new window is open.

Now you can flash it.

Sorry for my English, I am Spanish.

You lost me here “look betwen unzip files and select grbl, only select it, then select open.” Trust me your English is better than my Spanish and I have gotten lazy and now Google translate has made me very dumb.

I just figured it out as I was expecting .lib files etc…

@Roberbike btw, which port do I hook my laser to is it still d9 the fan port like it was for Marlin? Ramps only has 3 ports for 12v/24v the rest are 5v. Is it still 0-255 for min to max power values?

@The_Best_Stooge there is not a library file, only select the folder named GRBL and press open.
the grbl folder is inside of the file downloaded from the github page.

maybe this video can help you:

Here are the issues I have with compiling this

In file included from C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:43:0,

from C:\Downloads\grbl-Mega-edge\grbl-Mega-edge\grbl\examples\grblUpload\grblUpload.ino:27:

C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:25:0: warning: “false” redefined

#define false 0

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:24:0,

from sketch\grblUpload.ino.cpp:1:

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\lib\gcc\avr\4.9.2\include\stdbool.h:42:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define false false

^

In file included from C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:43:0,

from C:\Downloads\grbl-Mega-edge\grbl-Mega-edge\grbl\examples\grblUpload\grblUpload.ino:27:

C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:26:0: warning: “true” redefined

#define true 1

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:24:0,

from sketch\grblUpload.ino.cpp:1:

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\lib\gcc\avr\4.9.2\include\stdbool.h:43:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define true true

^

C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:56:0: warning: “max” redefined

#define max(a,b) (((a) > (b)) ? (a) : (b))

^

In file included from sketch\grblUpload.ino.cpp:1:0:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:93:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define max(a,b) ((a)>(b)?(a):(b))

^

C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:57:0: warning: “min” redefined

#define min(a,b) (((a) < (b)) ? (a) : (b))

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:92:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define min(a,b) ((a)<(b)?(a):(b))

^

C:\Users\ImmaUser\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/nuts_bolts.h:61:0: warning: “bit” redefined

#define bit(n) (1 << n)

^

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:123:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define bit(b) (1UL << (b))

^

@The_Best_Stooge I have the 12V power imput of my driver connected to D9 and TTL 5V signal to D6.
Standar max power for grbl 1.1 is 1000, but you can changue it, if you want. command $30 changue it.

@The_Best_Stooge more info to use laserweb for a laser:
https://cncpro.yurl.ch/documentation/cam-operations/40-laser-operations/8-laser-raster-settings

@Roberbike I don’t use TTL so no need for the D6 but what about those issues with compiling? As you see the libraries have a lot of warnings and I treat warnings as potential errors that will bite you in the butt.

btw, I am using a 24v system so my d9 is negative to laser’s negative and laser’s positive is to a 12v power supply positive so I get 0-12v using D9 that way. Anyway I am scared to upload the sketch with those warnings.

@The_Best_Stooge I don´t know. For me it works.
There is other option to flash the arduino using a precompiled file from here:
It can be flashed with Xloader, from here: http://xloader.russemotto.com/

@Roberbike Word for anyone who reads this but watch out as I almost had a fire once it was uploaded because I didn’t disconnect my 3d printer nozzle and it got so hot it was smoking so I probably need a new throat now as it probably got so hot the ptfe in it was burning.

@Roberbike I could not find the pin out info to use this nor would they help me but I read D9 was swapped with d8? After my smoking issue with the hotend on D10 after I uploaded the sketch I really need to find a pinout for gnea on ramps but I have had no luck.