I have been thinking about implementing a time lapse function for the Webcam widget.

I have been thinking about implementing a time lapse function for the Webcam widget. @jlauer what is your opinion on the matter? How do I get access to the video frames and perform some processing on it without slowing down everything else.

Also, I have some engraving job that takes 8+ hours to finish. The Webcam widget works for a few hours. I few hours later the Webcam widget shows black when I got back to my computer. Both the computers running chilipeppr and the webrtc server are set to never sleep. Is there a timeout for webrtc that I am not aware of?

For the time lapse, you can do some really cool stuff. In modern browsers you can getContext(‘2d’) of the entire window or I believe any DOM element. So, you could frame grab, store, and then create a movie. Not sure if there’s Javascript that will turn images/frames/png’s into an MP4 for uploading to Youtube, but I do recall seeing that asm.js (assembly language inside a Javscript container) had an MP4 converter. You may need to upload frames to a server to create the MP4. Does Youtube have a frame feed API?

For the webcam widget, I’m seeing that WebRTC drops frames, or resolution, or even the entire feed, if the computer CPU gets too high. I could see it timing out after a while. There is a way to detect the drop and try to reconnect. If you click the reconnect button in the WebRTC widget does it reconnect ok? Or do you have to reload all of ChiliPeppr?