I have been lurking here for about 2 weeks following links to various DIY

That’s kinda like looking at a picture of car with a flat tire and going
“I can tell just from the thumbnail that the car in that picture is going to have terrible handling issues.”
I don’t see anything wrong with that.

And by the way, sorry @William_Frick for hijacking your post.

I know what causes Z wobble, and this machine has it in spades. If the guy had done his research, he would have known that too and wouldn’t have designed the machine that way. So yes, I dismissed it, because it was immediately apparent that the designer didn’t know what he was doing.

@Thomas_Sanladerer A piece of paper saying you know something is over rated and especially so in such a fast moving world. Desire, experience, and critical thinking abilities is what matters.

And the thumbnail is enough to show me that the designer of this machine lacks those last two things.

“That’s kinda like looking at a picture of car with a flat tire and going”

Except it’s not kinda like that at all.

No apologies needed ! Learning a lot and hope others like me are too,
My first post here and to raise such a passionate debate is gratifying !

I missed that post about flat tires, but I was about to make a similar analogy, only with square wheels.

And yes, it’s exactly like that.

Really? Square tires is comparable to constraining a threaded Z rod?

Yes, both cause terrible wobble when they turn.

@Whosa_whatsis That’s a quote to be remembered :smiley:

Again, the evidence in his gallery points to it not being so terrible. Maybe he uses high quality rods? Maybe his coupling on either/both ends is floating? You can tell that from his thumbnail? What I can tell from his gallery is that he does NOT have “terrible Z-wobble.”

There are more pics in the blog.

“And the thumbnail is enough to show me that the designer of this machine lacks those last two things.”

Now you’re just being a dick.

Even if that particular machine doesn’t have much Z wobble (the picture @Thomas_Sanladerer linked suggests otherwise), they’re not going to be consistent. Some threaded rods are straighter than others.

I can see, again from the thumbnail, that his couplers are not floating, and the rods appear to be cheap zinc-plated steel ones, which I doubt have ever been manufactured with a straightness rating.

Their blog shows that they have quite a few of the G1 printers running - apparently some produce wobbly parts and some produce parts that show less wobble. I’d guess that they would show more of the nicer parts.

Not to sound too maternal here, but I’m quite disappointed by the tone in this discussion. Some of this is really on the edge of trolling.

I feel that I’m partly to blame, since I was fairly critical of Kickstarter 3D Printers in general, but this bashing of new designs is not what I intended. I’m also guilty of being critical first and helpful later, but I’m determined to stop doing that now.

I think we, as a group, need to start being more helpful and less critical. The same thing pointed out in this topic (Z-wobble caused by constrained threaded rods) could have been framed in a much more helpful way.

I agree that the constrained threaded rods are most likely a design mistake, having had a Cupcake for several years now. I also know that many Cupcakes didn’t have a Z-wobble, in spite of that design decision. The designer(s) of this printer may not have figured out that some of his/her/their printers having a z-wobble was due to that design decision.

Please, let’s start being more helpful toward new designers coming on the scene and making design decisions that we’ve seen fail or cause issues in the past. We really are working toward the same goal, and it’s counterproductive to be running people off for old mistakes (etc.) that they could have been avoided or better understood had they waded through the years of mailing lists, forums, and blogs on the topic.

This is not an elitist pursuit, this is an open-source pursuit to bring 3D printing to the masses.

Well said, being new here and to 3d printing [haven’t bought one yet] I appreciate the commentary about the design . Given the right tone I think the authors of the Mix G1 would appreciate the feedback. I think most people welcome constructive criticism if it can lead to a better result.

Is there a site that has compiled the pros, cons and pitfalls of printer design ?

Thanks for bringing me back, @Rob_Giseburt . My goat was definitely gotten, and while I stand by the content of what I said, I admit that my tone devolved pretty quickly and wouldn’t be very helpful to the designer (if he was present, which he is not).

@Whosa_whatsis No prob. Like I said, I feel like I may have started this trend.

@William_Frick I don’t know of anything quite so focused as that. http://RepRap.org and http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/ are good places to start.