I have been looking around the webs,

I have been looking around the webs, and I am seeing more and more printers with multi heads. I like the idea of using more than one type of printing material, but wonder about something.
Is it possible to build an extruder that has an input from two materials with low-mid melt points, force them together and when the new one stream prints and cools have a higher combined melt point than either material alone? Kind of like a duel extruder into a single extruder to print job.
Probably not right, or else someone would have already done it right?
#3dprinting #3dprinter #chemistry

There have been a few attempts at this that I have seen, the problem most commonly reported seems to be that you need some sort of mixer to blend the materials together or you end up with one colour on one side and the other on the other.

Here is one good example http://richrap.com/?p=121

@Stephen_Cropp wow that is almost the perfect example of what I am talking about. Almost.
I wonder if there is another chemical that could be added in place of that 3rd color to either of the first two colors that would increase the melting point of after the print cools and solidifies again. Imagine printing new high temp resistant parts, using low temp originals.

No idea about that sort of thing I’m afraid.

I’ve heard the the people who just put the 3Dmonstr printer on Kickstarter are working on a system that will feed pellets directly into the printer. Set up a proportional feeder for each pellet type in a blend and have any color you want; even changing colors as you go. Sounds like a good Arduino project.

Oops, just read the rest of MVM’s post in full. A Canandian kickstarter project is offering a modified PLA filament that can be heat treated after forming to improve its high tgemp characteristics.