I have a question, the answer to which is likely obvious to most,

Even if not, I have already learned. This is an experiment and I think it’s worth looking into up to a point.

“Other enhancements” sounds interesting. I look forward to soaking up the knowledge provided from all this.

Nothing major, just relocation of the PSU, electronics, LCD and cleaning up the wiring. Oh and using a C3D board and going all Smoothie.

Watch your motor and circuitry temps while pushing for maximum speed from the motors, please.

Roger

C3D board?

@raykholo ​’s Smoothie Remix

Ah. Cohesian3D board.

To back up a bit cutting power to a higher quality leadscrew may not be such a great idea if there’s any weight on it. I converted an old plywood Printrbot from the allthread z screws to TR8 4 start, and the carriage would drift down while printing until the firmware was recompiled to leave the z motors powered up. Plus there’s that whole cogging thing.

Good to know. Thx

Yes, I use 4 start acne leadscrew on the z of a few machines and you have to tell the firmware to give constant power to the z to prevent gravity from doing its thing: it’s the law! But a geared stepper could prevent this if you want to reduce power consumption and are fighting any heat problems (not a problem on our boards/ motors)

Hmmm, any motors specifically? I can make a purchase of 2

Going from belts to leadscrews is going to give you 8mm per 400 steps so without micro stepping and depending on your motor, 50 steps per mm compare that to your belts which I’m guessing will be 1/2 that I’d imagine you’re going to double your holding power but realistically probably reduce your printing speed to keep things working. On an i3 the same belt setup it usually used on the bed and the printhead carriage and the weight of the bed would be more than print head Bowden or direct drive. My firts inclination was your speed is going to go to hell, but honestly seeing how fast the tr8 moves per revolution I don’t know how much speed you would really loose. It would probably be very solid and sans the elasticity of the belts print nicely.

Only one way to find out :slight_smile: