I have a 0.5 and a 0.7 nozzle.

I have a 0.5 and a 0.7 nozzle. I did not think about it before going down this path, but what range of layer heights is acceptable for such a combo? I want to use the 0.7 nozzle for infills to make them thicker and hopefully more reliable.

Anything less than 80% of nozzle width is good. You can have a 1mm nozzle go all the way down to 0.05mm layer heights if you so wish. I’d probably start off experimenting with something like 0.2mm layer heights, with “Infill every 2 layers” turned on

0.14 layers, with infill every 4 would put you right at the 80% mark for the 0.7mm nozzle too, along with being a nice round number (depending on thread pitch, etc)

I had it at 0.2 for the 0.5 nozzle. I decided to go with 0.3 layer heights. I may change it back later though.

Infill every 4 layers. Hmmm…I should probably do something like that.

@ThantiK which slicer has this “infill every x layers”? I am using Cura and I dont think it has this feature. Thanks

@Demetris_Stavrou Slic3r. Slic3r also allows you to have multiple nozzles do different things. You could have a 0.25mm nozzle for outer perimeters giving you great detail, 0.5mm nozzle for inner perimeters so you can have thick walls without needing 8 perimeters, and a 0.7mm nozzle for infill, only doing infill every 4 layers to account for the extra thickness you were able to achieve. Allowing you to have a very speedy, yet very very detailed print.

1 Like

Which reminds me that I wanted to improve Cura or write a python clone of Slic3r.

@NathanielStenzel , whatever you do, write about it. Start out with a simple STL, and grab a 2D slice. Then explain it. I think the world of slicers would get a lot more collaboration if the domain of knowledge had a little bit more explanation out and available to people.