I had an idea for a belt driven extruder,

The motor mount slides to tension the drive belt, you think a sprung bearing would be better on the drive side too?

This looks interesting, wouldnā€™t you need a pretty small pinion or pretty beefy stepper though, I guess itā€™s for 1.75mm filament?

If you look at the diameter the mk7 direct drive needs to give enough torque, itā€™s barely bigger than the motor shaft.

Head should be as as light weight as possible, for accuracy of printing. As ppl at Makerbot did as I remember.
Beside that, it looks great.

as to the costs, you can get 10 5x10x4 bearings on the bay for about Ā£2 and a 3mm HTD belt 174mm x 9mm is also just over Ā£2 and a 12 tooth pulley is just over Ā£3. The rest would be odds and sods and printed parts.

@Liam_Jackson with 1.75 a standard Nema 17 should be fine as thatā€™s what is used for direct drive solutions anyway. That assumes the bearings and belt tension donā€™t provide too much extra friction/resistance.

@Darko_Bednjanec by the looks of the pneufit connector on the top, this is intended for a bowden solution so weight wonā€™t be a concern.

I made a very similar extruder to this for a delta printer that Iā€™m designing at the moment. Mine is a bit simpler in design but basically the same principle of using two belts to grip the filament. I drive both sides using transfer gears but do not have any tensioners on the belts - the belts are stretched in position. The gap between that belts is also not adjustable itā€™s fixed for 1.75mm filament.

It works really well feeding filament into thin air, you cannot make the filament slip by pulling it with your hands but I still need to get it hooked up to a hot end and see how well it performs against a load.

Only suggestion that I would make with your design is to change the bottom hole so that it has a conical lead-in to make feeding the filament through a lot easier. I had to do this on mine as the filament got caught which made loading it a PITA.