I do a lot of welding and here in the middle of California,

I do a lot of welding and here in the middle of California, and it gets over 101 F average, in the summer time. To keep cool, I have a large fan at the end of the shop to move air around. The problem is, I am never directly in the air flow at all times. I have an idea to make my fan “follow” me around the shop, aiming the air at me, all the time. I found this project on Kickstarter and figured this will be perfect! This little guy tracks up to 7 objects at a time, at 50 fps! You can ‘teach’ the board to follow different colors, you can upgrade and modify the camera lens for different FOV, and Pixy communicates through UART, SPI, I2C, digital or analog output. I got one on the way!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/254449872/pixy-cmucam5-a-fast-easy-to-use-vision-sensor

I bought one through the KS campaign. Haven’t actually done much with it yet other than getting it out of the box and playing with some of the default settings it comes with. A little low resolution but for what it does, it doesn’t need a high resolution camera. Works just fine, not to mention really fast!

Did you purchase the pan/tilt option?

No, because I already have a p&t assembly that I am going to use.

I did hook up the servos to it and watched them move according to me moving the camera around. Quite nice.

I was hoping I could track a LED mounted to me or my hat, through a diffuser. Does it work well outdoors?

Don’t know, haven’t tried it outside. But I would suspect, an LED will get washed out very quickly by the bright sun. You’re better off having it target your entire hat, or other large object like your t-shirt. Wear something bright, like bright red or something that it won’t otherwise find in your sorrounding, and teach it to follow that.

I can’t wait to (twiddling fingers) experiment :slight_smile:

Wow, do want! Can you imagine the prop tracking and flow arts training possibilities ?