I completely redesigned the fan duct for my Mendel90 to fit with the new

I completely redesigned the fan duct for my Mendel90 to fit with the new E3D hot end. You can download it from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:91931.
I know that ABS isn’t supposed to need a cooling fan but I had totally failed to print Ninosman’s Bi-Cube without one. Finally, with Kapton tape, a 3 mm brim and the fan set to about 40%, I succeeded.
You can tell it’s working when the sharp corners of the triangles don’t curl up any more but stay perfectly flat.

Does this one work better than the nophead mendel90 fan shroud? I’m still struggling with printing small tips

I don’t know. I built a very early version of the Mendel90 from the wiki instructions. I think the X carriage may have changed since then but I’m not sure how exactly. I wouldn’t expect mine to work better than nophead’s but it works well enough for me and the low profile gives me a bit more clearance under the fan which is good for visibility of the part during printing.

Thanks… I was experimenting by printing small 45 deg pyramids, and can only get clean edges until about 2 to 3 mm from the vertex. I’m next going to try printing a second part, spaced some distance away, to give some additional cooling time. Thanks, for posting the interesting stuff you’re working on.