I am not sure what is going on with this community regarding to its

@Nate_T I’d suggest something like OnShape - runs in the browser, free for hobby users, acts a lot like solidworks and is light-years ahead of FreeCAD.

@Nate_T I can’t tell because I try to avoid traps like Fusion360, OnShape and all things “free” that’s not Free or Open Source Software. FreeCAD would be light-years from where it is if only a tenth of Fusion360 subscriptions had been given to the project. Just see the wonders just one man can make only part time coding on the project by looking at the progress on the Arch/BIM workbench monthly.
That said, I may start learning Fusion360 sooner than I’d wished I had to as need begin to arise :unamused:

Just in case
https://plus.google.com/107717094180262901848/posts/ikRDiNkWWuK

@Jeremie_Tarot I’ve been using Fusion pretty much since it came out with a free education license. Only restriction is that I’m not supposed to use it for commercial purposes but I have a free startup version I use for that. The educator version is really nice because they give you unlimited free cloud rendering credits when normally its $1 per credit and each professional render can be 3+ credits.

@Adam_Steinmark good for you, but these softwares are just the worst thing ever: proprietary code, market parasitism, and cloud captivity.

@Jeremie_Tarot you know what they also are? Working, non-buggy modeling apps that allow you to get actual things done.

Which, despite its recent improvements, FreeCAD still isn’t.

If you want to cripple your workflow so that you can stick to an open source philosophy FreeCAD is for you.

If you want to actually get work done, not so much.

@ThantiK SolidWorks, Pro/E, TopSolid, Catia, and so much others surely allow to get things done, and they do without a strategy of market destruction. I hardly imagine how Fusion360 business model can be profitable without market domination. Meanwhile competitors, including Open Source ones, have to fight a drugged actor that could reveal deadly.

I’ll take another look at FreeCAD. I’m a huge fan of Open Source, but get sucked back into proprietary software from time to time.

@Jeremie_Tarot Market destruction? So you’re unhappy that a free-ish program can compete with industry standard modeling software that cost hundreds of dollars per license?
Also Fusion 360 isn’t like Onshape where you need network access to use the program, you can save your projects to work on offline and it uses local computing. You can still take advantage of cloud computing for intensive computing like rendering and simulations or if you prefer you can have those tasks run locally as well. It’s a phenomenal thing to be able to work on my projects on my desktop at home then continue my work when I have free time while away on my laptop. No worrying about saving projects to external drives and whether or not the machine I’m using has the most up to date version of my designs. Fusion 360 is the only free software I’ve come across that can actually perform as well industry standard software like SolidWorks. I actually find the workflow is even more intuitive than SolidWorks and Pro/E.

@Nate_T FOSS as much as possible, proprietary when needed. 20 years in Open Source IT and always have my W$ virtual machine handy with all proprietary softwares I need.

@Adam_Steinmark I’m not unhappy of such a tool free availability in itself. Following what I just told to Nate, I may end learning Fusion360 before I even finish learning FreeCAD to the level I’d wish… But actors like SketchUp or Fusion360, or any freemium offer, attracts users and resources away from Open Source with fake Freedom. There’s nothing like Free for multi-million international businesses. Their strategy is to asphyxiate market with pricings other actors can’t stand, thanks to financial drip. They put the market at risk of actors and concurrence destruction, and us at the mercy of a dominating giant.

@Jeremie_Tarot so why bash on Fusion 360 when you’re just unhappy that the market works in such a way that allows Autodesk to take advantage of it with their pricing model? You’re unhappy that open source CAD developers can’t compete on the same level but it’s just because the software isn’t as functional and you’re blaming Autodesk for simply having the resources to take advantage of the market. Would you prefer if Autodesk adopted Dassault Systemes business model and didn’t provide free licenses?
Fusion 360 is a great tool and you shouldn’t dissuade others from using it simply because you would like to accomplish the impossible task of changing consumer spending habits to support what frankly can be inadequate software.
Don’t get me wrong I’m all for open source and I strongly prefer an open source product over a closed source one if they have similar functionality. I could understand your position if FreeCAD was as functional as Fusion 360 and the developers simply weren’t able to advertise enough to reach a significant portion of CAD users, but unfortunately that isn’t the case here.

@Adam_Steinmark my point was much more to raise consciouness of these kind of offers impact on markets, the strategy behind it, and the long term risks for users, concurrence and employment.
Dassault is not the one at risk. It may well be one of the surviving behemots sharing the remaining oligopolistic market. My concern is for the 10s of smaller alternatives that can’t stand such an unfair concurrent. And don’t forget Autodesk built their resources on greedy licensing policies for years.
About FreeCAD, it can’t be fair to compare a community voluntary project to an industry giant backed one. Again, invest a thouthandth in any FOSS software, and you won’t believe what can be achieved. FreeCAD may be far from Fusion360 or any other, but for A LOT of people, it is at least very close to being just what they need. See what Yorik achieves part time with a tiny Patreon compensation on the Arch/BIM workbench. See what Sliptonic has done on Path (CAM) WB and now documentation in a year or so. See the works being done on new assembly features.
Now put just 1% of what you spend in sweet poison proprietary product, and invest it in a key FOSS project for engineering, machining, fabrication, building… And make yourself a vision of what the world will look like in 10 or 20 years, further, the one you’ll leave to your children.
20 years ago, we where called monkey nerds pushing FOSS in businesses. Imagine the world today if no one had invested in Linux, Apache, PHP, Libre Office, WordPress…