I am not promoting this item,

I am not promoting this item, but I wanted to post how disgusted I am with the “developer” (if you can really call him that). I have already left a scathing and 4-letter-word-laden comment on the page. This is the kind of crap that the 3D printing community is rampant with, and I’m so incredibly glad to see this fell flat on it’s face.

The Ultimaker has a non-commercial license, yet when confronted about it, this guy threw an absolute fit. He somehow feels he’s entitled to money from his 10 minutes of editing files.

Read the comments.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40668

Why is this on Thingiverse if there’s no design files (or have they been pulled)?

I love how @Daid_Braam reaches out to him, just to get a: i want an official statement from @Ultimaker back.

“Standalone upgrade kit”. What.

Reported him - still think you shouldn’t be so offensive @ThantiK - that doesn’t help

I like that this guy chose a non-commercial license on his Thing.

Reported to indiegogo

@Nils_Hitze luckily, I’m not a community manager. :oP

I’ll admit, my reply isn’t constructive whatsoever, but I’ve been up for close to 20 hours now, and I’m grumpy.

@ThantiK tilt

@Brad_Koehn that’s great, because my personal comments are my domain. I give people the respect they deserve. When they don’t deserve it, I tell them straight. I do not sugar-coat or try to smooth over my thoughts on the subject at hand. Because primarily, I do not seek other peoples respect. I do not seek admiration. I do not seek to gain anything. I tell it like it is. I am not timid, or meek, and I’m not afraid to express it.

If you want to lecture me, here is not the place to do it. Lets try to keep on the subject at hand, shall we?

The community policed itself. The campaign will not be successful.

I’ve emailed with the guy from the indiegogo campaign. He doesn’t have bad or money intentions He just wanted to make something cool available.
But the problem is that his rewards are odd (discount on an unspecified amount of money?) and that what he wants requires a LOT of engineering, as you need to change almost every aspect of the machine. There is little you can re-use from the original kit.

Yeah, if he wants to enlarge the build volume, just do the extended-Z that the UM guys themselves also did. That ought to require a lot less engineering.

Even extending the Z height (which we tested) causes issues. It causes an increase in Z-wobble, you need to lengthen all cables (except for the Z motor). With 4 new panels, 2 new axes, and a new Z screw. And then you have a printer which prints larger prints, at less quality.

@Daid_Braam well, yes. But that might well be a trade-off people are willing to make (I mean, hell, the UM has a pretty damn good baseline for quality). What I’d be more concerned about is that I would think that there is an inherent weakness in the layer by layer approach in that the XY direction with lines of filament might be stronger than the layer to layer bond in the Z direction, which would make your longest direction your weakest (which has obvious issues). Mind you, I haven’t done tests as to whether it is true that the Z direction is weaker. Extra Z wobble might exacerbate it as well, I suppose.

Would it be possible to do the case as a double-walled construction? Two walls (with something or other between them, perhaps simply pin-and-slot equipped strips of plywood arranged in squares or triangles) say five centimeters apart on each side, to give extra bracing against the z-wobble? I mean, lasercut plywood is, in relative terms, fairly cheap, right?