I am having hell my tinyg v8 controller and I do hope someone can

I am having hell my tinyg v8 controller and I do hope someone can offer a viable solution. I have had this issue on two different ones so I assume it’s the way it interrupts the gcode…

I am using fusion 360 and the problem seems to come up when I need to cut smaller pockets or bore holes… profile cutting is perfect…it seems to make odd shaped holes for some reason or it will bore in one place and the cut the hole like a kidney bean shape…

This is a minor example if what I’m referring too. That’s a .230" Dia in the drawing with a .125" tool. On this one it touched down to the first depth off to left. Then bored an oval shaped hole.

Sometimes it is much worse and doesn’t even seem to follow the cam tool path on pocket or boring…

Does anyone have some ideas as to why it’s doing this? I am using the tinyg post in fusion…

it’s probably the way g2/g3 arcs are being interpreted.

@jlauer do you have any suggestions to resolve this?? I sure do like the easy in which I can work with this controller. Most due to your work on chilipeppr btw☺

Well, one idea i’ve always had was to let folks convert g2/g3 arcs to g1 moves inside ChiliPeppr. That’s the only thing I can think of. There is a macro called “Get G1 Representation of G2/G3’s from 3D Viewer Object” inside ChiliPeppr that will show you the G1 coordinates you could use if you extend the macro. When the 3d viewer renders g2/g3’s it creates 24 straight lines to represent each arc. You could use those lines as 24 g1 moves in place of your g2 or g3 arc move. You’d have to extend that macro to essentially regenerate your Gcode file.

thanks John… not sure how I do that but ill figure it out

got it… thanks John… Ill give it a go

btw can you explain to me exactly what that macro is doing? or do you have a video on how to use them?

I don’t have any video on them, but any video i show you javascript is essentially what the macro is. so if you watch the 3 videos on the cp home page at the bottom, it’s essentially the same thing. the kicker on that sample macro is it is showing you how to get the 3d viewer data and actually extract the xy points that represent the rendering of the arc. you would then just push each line to a new array to create your new file.

yeah… I was looking at the code… sort of new to programming since I just started learning JS about 6 months ago but I get the logic… thanks again John!!

Do you perhaps work in inch system?
Try mm; G2 and G3 issues exacerbated by the conversion from inch (tin yG’s internals are in mm system)

I see. that makes it difficult for me. I have to measure in inches because all my machinist tools are in inch… otherwise id love to use mm. I guess I could convert the drawing into mm after I draw it

I have zero experience with Fusion 360. I know my favorite design environment can generate mm or inch from my work, no matter what the design system is.

I would say give it a try first (an inch design rendered with mm Gcode) just to see if it helps with your issues.

will do first thing in the morning… I did check in fusion and it was very simple to switch back and forth with no issues… so I have the gcode already for the tinyg… perhaps I should send the code to someone and have them test it to see if its just my controller or if it is something with the tiny g

I had issues very similar to this until @cmcgrath5035 ​ pointed out I was in inch mode I had designed in Metric and chose the wrong post processor I was using tinyg(inch) instead of tinyg(mm) post processor… The issue was resolved after that

well good news is I have it working perfectly… The issue was the inch MM problem. I had to configure and calibrate the machine in inches since all my tools are imperial. Down side of learning machining in the USA.

I output the CAM in MM and the holes seemed to look a lot better minus the backlash I had to adjust out of the machine… However, after it cut 8 holes that didn’t look to bad the machine did what I call a “run a way” so I halted it.

As I said, I had to calibrate the controller in imperial so I had the $gun=0 so it was calling G20 in the controller… I set that back to G21 and bingo!
everything worked like it was supposed too… Everything cut correctly.
I know the cam sets the controller to what it should be, but it still didn’t work consistently until resetting the $gun…

Is there a sticky somewhere on this topic? It seems as though its going to be a major problem for any in the USA using inch. I was getting annoyed with the controller, but rather than have some stupid rant about it I thought I would do my best to find a solution. And with everyone’s help it turned out to be something quite simple…

I just don’t want others that are struggling with this problem giving an otherwise highly affordable and very useful controller a bad name just because of a slight limitation in the software. We all know its a hobbyist experimental controller, but sometimes you fight with something long enough you tend to come off the hinges a bit.

After all hobbyist or not we bought it with the intention of putting it to use. So knowing, hey don’t use inches. Always use mm and it works fantastically well… Everyone starting off should know…

Perhaps we should put this into the github setup wiki. Think I’ll make a video about it tomorrow as well.

Anyways best regards to all that helped…

@John_Johnston I’m not sure why you felt you needed to calibrate in inches - tinyG immediately changes $1tr=10in into $1tr=252mm anyway. Highly recommended to enter parameters in mm to tinyG, even if you desire to run inch GCode. Inch mode Gcode should run, what you are doing is working around a precision bug that certain Gcode generators seem to tickle now and then.

I had to calibrate in inches because I used I dial indicator to make sure the movements were right in inches mine worked out about to .3125in

I’m having a heck of a time running in inch mode too. I’ll post back in a few days when I can run some parts in mm mode. At least it will be another data point.

Just dial it in with inches and then go back into to the controller and tell it to default to mm again after calibration…
All your setting will remain correct. It will simply convert what you input into mm’s for you… no headaches