I am having a strange electrical issue and was wondering if any of you

Thank you. If I figure it out I will post the solution.

@Rex_Heck ​ my best guess would be a short inside the resin.

Also. Having had a look at the photo. I think you need to double check your soldering. Is that an aluminium frame?

Alright… I have taken It all apart and done a bunch of testing. The thing works unless I am using the RAW input. When using the RAW input on different chips from same manufacturer code freezes and restarts.

Stuart, yes the frame is aluminum. none of the exposed wires seemed to be touching the frame. I checked the soldering connections so many times last night it made my head spin.

Today I just ripped out the chip and have been playing around with a few others I bought to see what’s going on. My post above this one is what I have come to find and it does not make much sense.

Everything works fine until I use my external power supply so now I am going to monitor the voltage over time with that supply.

Alright guys, it must have had something to do with the voltage regulator. It converts up to 12v down to 3.3v and I read somewhere that the extra energy gets turned into heat. I have a power supply that is 6v connected to the regulator and no problems. Thank you to all of you who helped me through this process and I hope that this regulator information will be useful in your future!

Yeah. Also note that regulators have a set amount of Amps too. Usually 500mA on the arduino’s. Went over that once. Made my LEDs act real weird lol

Thats good to know. That probably just limits the amount of LEDs that are able to be used through Vcc. I guess its best to use a 5v supply :confused:

A regulated power supply. Anything over 5V can burn them out

Ah, so it was overheating because it was sealed up in the resin? Thanks for sharing what you found so we can all learn.

Well i still cant figure out why my snowflake matrix wont work lol

Yes I think the resin trapped in the heat. I Also think that the regulator can’t actually handle up to 12v like it is suppose to. Possibly because it’s a cheap knock off. No issues at 6v.

Whats wrong with your snowflake?

Idk it all works for a few hours then like half of it freezes up while the rest of it still works as usual and then later another chunk stops working until eventually im left with like 6 LEDs working out of 113

That sounds very frusterating. I hope you figure out whats wrong.

Here is a quick video of the final product

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRPvahblLcJ/

Yeah i gave up on it. It worked on christmas. Its served its purpose lol

Cool design @Rex_Heck . Happy you were able to sort it out and have it running now!

@Cristian_Martinez Create a new post and give as much details about your snow flake setup as possible and what’s happening. Hopefully others will have some ideas.

@marmil ​ thanx man. Hey what would be a good processor to drive a 32x32 LED matrix?

Teensy 3.2 should do it. Try it out.