I am considering getting this to power my air-assist,

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty Yeah 5 gal is about 19L. Changing the board is in my upgrade plans at some point. I’ll let Yuusuf figure it all out first :wink:

@Nedman Currently my airpumps that I am using have some annoying feature where they turn off after a while. I imagine it is some overheat protection, but it happens about 1/2 hour into running. Fortunately as I have 2 hooked up running my air-assist, I usually hear the first one stop & have the other one still going for about 30 seconds before it will stop too, so I have time to switch the first one back on again & wait to switch the 2nd back on too.

Auto on/off would be great to be able to have it only blowing air when it’s actually necessary (say +/- 1second on either side of the actual firing).

If you can use an IP valve, you have all the control of the air pressure automatically. Only need a 10V or 4-20 mA signal.

@Roberbike I just tried to google what an IP valve is but no luck. What exactly is an IP valve?

This valve transform an electrical signal 0-10V or 4-20 mA in a neumatic signal. Other name is IP Converter or proporcional valve. IP is intensity pressure.
Look for this model on google:
SMC PVQ 31-5G-40-01F
There are other manufactures like FESTO, SAMSON, etc…

I think that it is posible to use a MOSFET output to control this valve, and if meassure the air pressure with a pressure sensor an read it with a termistor imput, voala, you have the perfect automáticamente system to control the air pressure autoregulated.

Thanks @Roberbike . All the electronics side of things are a bit past my understanding, but with a bit of research & maybe help from people here, I think I can get something going eventually.

I tryed a aquarium air pump for all of 5minutes then switched to my shop 2.5hp 50 liter tank air compressor with water traps (2) with built in air pressure regulator .so far havnt looked back ,was a bit nosiy untill i moved it 30 meters away into a brick garage,now can not even hear it running. So far got 100 hours up on it and only paid $120 for it new years ago.i change oil ever 50 hours with dedicated air compressor oil ,and have fitted a auto tank drain that drains the tank setable .5 to 5 seconds drain and does this every 1 to 45 minutes that the air compressor has power to ig.noe i get a very clean cut on bottom of my cut 3m mdf with no marks at all

@Phillip_Conroy Unfortunately I don’t have the option to put it 30m away in the garage, as my laser is in the garage. I like the sound of very clean cuts. I will see how I go with the small compressor (it’ll be a definite improvement over the aquarium pumps) & probably end up upgrading to a full sized compressor similar to what you’re using. I saw a 2hp compressor at a local hardware store for about $120. Just a matter of finding somewhere to stash it away from my work area (maybe behind some of the garage walls to block some of the noise).

For the noise, is posible to reduce it putting the compresor in a wood box with some aislant inside, like rockwool. And very importan, a thick carpeta or cork below of the compressor. It will reduce the noise alot

@Roberbike Would need to be careful doing that as it may cause your pump to over heat. Small aquarium pumps might be fine, but bigger pumps heat up a lot. However, vibration damping material under the pump is always a good idea :).

@Nedman yes, ofcourse. It is a good idea to make some holes to the box in order to maintain free air circulation . The noise insulating boxes that sell for compressors are not fully closed also.

The one I ordered arrived today :slight_smile: Unfortunately it has a broken dial on the regulator, so can’t change the pressure without replacing the dial. It states in the item description also that it is a 1/8" BSP, which I think can’t be correct as that is 3mm & the outlet looks to be more like 10mm (or 3/8"). I’ve contacted the seller to see about getting a replacement dial or a partial refund.

The noise of this pump is quite low. It says 48db max. Pretty happy with the noise. 23L/minute seems like a very low flow of air, but that is just running with nothing attached, so might be better once funnelled through a smaller hose (I will be using 4mm ID once I work out how to attach to the BSP fitting).

After plugging it in for a test, it’s definitely no good for air-assist. I get <10 seconds of air at 10psi before the motor kicks in again to repressurise the tank. That would end up with the motor permanently on. I wonder how you go about air-brushing with it. I’d imagine that you want air for longer than 10 seconds.

The tank is mainly acting as a pulsation damper. A airbrush pump will run continuously for an air assist as it doesn’t move enough air to pressurize a tank and feed the air assist.

@Nedman Is it going to damage the pump to run it continuously? I did notice that the air pressure coming out of my air-assist was greater than my 2 pathetic aquarium pumps I am using. So the 23L/min that this does is better than whatever I currently have haha. Time to buy bigger air pumps like what others are using I think.

Maybe a test to know how much your air tank need to be.

Be carefull, it can be dangerous.

@Yuusuf_Sallahuddin_Y It could very well damage the pump, but but from what I’ve read there are a lot of people using them for this purpose without too many problems. I guess it depends on the quality of the pump. I have a small fan blowing on mine to try and keep it from getting too hot.
A small pancake type air compressor is probably ideal, but it will be considerably louder than that the airbrush pump.
If my airbrush pump every dies I will probably give in and go through the hassle of plumbing from my big outside workshop air compressor into my inside laser work area.