How much of LW3 will LW4 use? As some of you know,

How much of LW3 will LW4 use? As some of you know, I’ve been spending a lot of time trying to improve LW3 (or at least highlight bugs and attempt to root cause) and I’m just wondering if I’m wasting my time or not and whether it’d be better to be focusing efforts of LW4?

Will LW4 use a lot of LW3 such that it’s still worth refining LW3 because improvement/fixes/optimizations will flow onto LW4?

Curious as to the thoughts of key developers…

:-o haha ok. What was the though behind that? Is LW3 that bad a baseline? Or is that just what you do e.g. LW -> LW2 -> LW3 -> LW4

No judgment - just curious

@Hani_Chahine “all software has bugs”, " all software needs improvement", :). Its the unwritten law of software

Thanks for the history.

Kudos to you (and other devs) for what you’ve achieved thus far. I think LW3 is great. That’s why I’ve been getting involved. If LW4 is going to be a serious upgrade to LW3, then I support that 100℅. Serious CAM experience and support will only make it that much better.

For what it is, LW3 is already better than 95% of open source laser software, even with its quirks.

My intention with this post was pure and I wasn’t having a go. I was curious to understand if any contribution to LW3 can be made use of in LW4. If no, then I’ll take it as end-of-dev for LW3 and use it as is and then maybe try to contribute to the dev of LW4 instead.

Sure is! They even have LW software showing in the marketing material they have on their website for the 2.

I’ve never really heard of them before but turns out they’re in my city. Small world.