How many shades of gray will laserweb3 send to k40 with a smoothieboard.

How many shades of gray will laserweb3 send to k40 with a smoothieboard. And am I right in thinking that a grayscale image would be more efficient than colors?

+Peter van der Walt So we don’t actually use values between 0-100% (in 1% increments)? I had just assumed it was doing that.

@Bruce_Golling ​ Not all materials will show significant differences between shades of gray I recommend using a 0-100% calibration image and find your best light/dark proportional feed rates before you delve into pre processing an image I have found that some materials you will see very little contrast differences between certain ranges of gray. This helps me fine tune my image pre process to select which details I want to emphasize and what I need to tone down. There can also be a significant difference in contrast when you start playing around with adjusting the material at different intervals in and out of focus

Here is a prime example of contrast variation between different focal lenghts… this is the exact same gcode file ran in focus and out of focus

2d83efbc5d042c6ca431da4bef9d33fb.jpeg