How do I make an outside cut?

hi im trying to do a design , it is mainly lettering but i want only the outside to cut , when i run the laser it cuts out all the middle bits , im trying to get the opposite , can anyone help or even understand what im asking

Please tell us what kind of laser you have and what software you are using to run it.

It would be best to also upload a sample graphic that you are trying to cut and having trouble with.

Hi it’s not letting me upload photos .
But I have the k50 c02 laser , I use inkscape for design , and k 40 whisperer for laser

Please tell us what kind of laser you have and what software you are using to run it.

It would be best to also upload a sample graphic that you are trying to cut and having trouble with.

You should be able to upload the SVG you are trying to cut. That’s usually important for diagnosing “why doesn’t this cut the way I expect?”

1 Like

If you want to cut just the outline of something then you will probably need to create a separate boundary or contour cut line.

How do you envision the cut for that example?

I’m not an expert in inkscape, but here’s a tutorial on creating a creating a contour cut layer.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll definitely try this layer

No one has come up with a suggestion as to how I could achieve the cut I’m looking for , any suggestions please

I guess I need to repeat myself:

Repeat all you like , but I don’t know what you mean

| mcdanlj Michael K Johnson
September 12 |

• | - |

I guess I need to repeat myself:

Please upload the SVG file so we can have a look at it and help you. Without the file it is hard to give advice.

I don’t have the actuall svg file but please see attached

| funinthefalls Anthony Bolgar Site Administrator
September 12 |

• | - |

Please upload the SVG file so we can have a look at it and help you. Without the file it is hard to give advice.

So you are looking to recreate the Santa treat product shown in the picture?

You had tried to cut something you posted in a prior picture (stanta is on his sleigh). Do you have that file?

I think you want to know how to join the letters and then cut them out. This typically requires you to convert text to a curve outline of the text, move the curve letters so they overlap and then join/weld the curve letters together. Note that “curve” refers to a type of graphical element.

I don’t work in inkscape so I can’t really explain exactly how to accomplish this in inkscape. Try googling " How to Outline Text in Inkscape"

Yes but when I do it , I can only get the inside to cut , like on this example attached

You have to make sure that your text is attached/overlapping to each other and that all text is attached to the square frame below. For example, the “A” in “Treat” is not attached to anything.
Also the inside of the letter “O” is not attached to anything. So it will still fall out, even if you attach all letters to each other. You have to add some small connections from the outer circles to the inner circle of the letter “O”. Much like stencils.

You also have to union everything. Otherwise it will cut out every letter separately. In the end, you cannot have any lines overlapping each other.

1 Like

Thank you so much , that’s the best advice I’ve had on this topic , my main problem is I don’t have many computer skills so I struggle in design

I’m still struggling with this cut it just keeps doing the complete opposite of what want , can u explain why please , I’ve followed the videos I sent me but it just doesn’t come out right

Can you provide the file you tried to cut?