Hold downs?

What are the best hold down methods you have used? I usually use mechanical hold downs of some sort, but recently I have been thinking about trying the masking tape and superglue method. ANy one have any experience with that method? Pros? Cons?

I use double back tape.
The kind of tape matters and I use this: https://amzn.to/2LHbUzQ

1 Like

Thanks for the link. When cutting through it, does it gum up the cutter at all?

Yes is does but it easily comes off when you start a fresh cut
or
don’t cut through it :).

Also I only put it on 2 edges and the middle.

Since I have a leadscrew driven machine I will have some pretty agressive feed rates. Do you think it will hold up to high feeds with relatively deep DOC’s?

I have not done anything that heavy but it holds laterally really well in fact I have to use a putty knife to get it off. I mostly do wood also.
Of course as with all router cnc work … speeds matter.

Just gotta try it to tell…

I just ordered a roll, so I will test and give feedback once I have a chance to try it. For aluminum, I will stick with mechanical fastening. But for wood, I am eager to give it a try.

Probably good choice but I wonder how well it works with Al.

I have some scrap aluminum I am willing to test on. Will let you know how it does.

I can verify that it works for me with aluminum at sane speeds and feeds. I have gone as small as 1" diameter parts out of .5" thick aluminum. It would be even better if you increase the ratio of the size of the part to the thickness of the part. (steel bed-tape-aluminum part)

2 Likes