Hi there total newbe to FastLED so sorry in advance.

Hi there total newbe to FastLED so sorry in advance. I thought I would download and install the FastLED library to my Arduino UNO program and plug in my LED strip purchased from Ebay (See Photo of specs)
screen shot 2014-03-27 at 21 16 52

get my Arduino out and load the examples in to see what happened. Well no code error and the LEDS come on, just not like they are suppose to.

#include “FastLED.h”

// How many leds in your strip?
#define NUM_LEDS 32

// For led chips like Neopixels, which have a data line, ground, and power, you just
// need to define DATA_PIN. For led chipsets that are SPI based (four wires - data, clock,
// ground, and power), like the LPD8806, define both DATA_PIN and CLOCK_PIN
#define DATA_PIN 3
#define CLOCK_PIN 13

// Define the array of leds
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
FastLED.addLeds(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}

void loop() {
// First slide the led in one direction
for(int i = 0; i < NUM_LEDS; i++) {
// Set the i’th led to red
leds[i] = CRGB::Red;
// Show the leds
FastLED.show();
// now that we’ve shown the leds, reset the i’th led to black
leds[i] = CRGB::Black;
// Wait a little bit before we loop around and do it again
delay(30);
}

// Now go in the other direction.
for(int i = NUM_LEDS-1; i >= 0; i–) {
// Set the i’th led to red
leds[i] = CRGB::Red;
// Show the leds
FastLED.show();
// now that we’ve shown the leds, reset the i’th led to black
leds[i] = CRGB::Black;
// Wait a little bit before we loop around and do it again
delay(30);
}
}

Link to video
https://plus.google.com/photos/116336226552256699988/albums/5995594642412828097?hl=en

I Hope someone can help

P.s I have checked the pins several times and have even swapped them over to make sure. I have also move the pins to 11 and 13 as Dan suggested.

I’ve seen some pretty strange results happen when I try to power LEDs and the Arduino from my computer USB port. What are you using to power to the LEDs and Arduino? And did you tie the ground of the Arduino to the ground of the LEDs?

Looking more closely at your setup - you don’t have a common ground between the arduino and the leds - that is potentially adding to problems there. Try connecting ground on the arduino to ground on the leds. If the leds have a different sense of ground than the uno, then the leds are going to do a terrible job of following data.

Hi there thanks a lot that solved it.

Excellent! Can’t wait to see what you end up doing/building :slight_smile: