Hi, I am trying to power my Beaglebone with a 5V 2.1A external battery

Hi, I am trying to power my Beaglebone with a 5V 2.1A external battery pack (not the battery cape.) I am using the barrel connector to connect my battery, and, the beaglebone does not power on. The battery has a full charge and I verified that 5V is making it to the beaglebone. The beaglebone powers on fine when I connect the USB cable to my laptop and when I connect the barrel jack to a 5V wall adapter.

I am using the beaglebone with a wifi cape and need the 2.1A, otherwise I would just connect the battery to the mini USB power pins

Any suggestions?

Chip, we don’t know each other. Just a question. How are you measuring amperage under load? This sounds like lack of amperage. I have two BB Whites and 2 BB Blacks and have run into power problems with them from time to time. Head scratchers sometimes… I have learned to use powered USB hubs from Belkin with them.

short the vdd5 and sys5v pins on P9 and you can use the wifi cape over USB power

thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Edward, I haven’t measured the current under load. The 2.1A is the max output on the battery pack.

Blake, I did check the polarity of the plug. Tip: +5V, Ring: GND.

Koen: What does shorting those pins do?

It ties the dc and USB input together so you can power everything from USB