Hi guys I am researching     and have stumbled on   a few

Hi guys I am researching #CoreXY #3dprinter and have stumbled on quadrap a few months ago and never managed to get it off the back of my head :). I was wondering what was the main reason you gave up the square tubing in favor of the (motedis?) extrusions? Was it lacking in the structural department? Is it more convenient and easy to put together with extrusions?

Thanks.

Hi! In my particular case, I came to the conclusion that having the whole machine frame build from 20x20 Open Build extrusion profile is not that expensive (~65€ for the whole frame not counting the fasteners). The Open Build are also quite convenient to attach accessories and get good quality surfaces for the wheel linear movement.
Motedis is also a popular alternative.

for Motedis no more wheels…other alternative are #gslot from Makergal.es

@Mauro_Manco
No more wheels because it is T-slot, right? Although there are linear bearings for t-slot available (example: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1113348).

@Florian_Ford ​ on tslot and QR used my white wheels. And all my wheels have @MakerGal ​ with great European gslot

Really G-Slot was desing for @Mauro_Manco ​ wheels xdddd

the carriages were quite tricky to build and I found it hard to alling the frame to be square.
As motedis extrusions can be ordered cut to lenght, it s easier to get a square frame.

I can cut your profile at lentgh

@MakerGal thanks, I fixed the tubes in a row and filed them to the same lenght. Next thing is to drill the holes within± 0.1mm over a distance of 440mm, that is difficult to achieve in a hobby worksop with a drill press. No problem with a cnc mill. If you give the holes a lot of play to allow proper alignment (becsuse of bad tolerances), I found it hard to allign the cube.

@Daniel_F
Are you saying that you drill the holes larger than the bolt you’re putting in? I plan to use square tubing for the #Scout-CoreXY, in the same arrangement as the quadrap and have a dual bolt for each tube-to-tube connection. I’ll be using M5 bolts and I have designed a drill-guide tool that should help with getting the holes pretty accurate without CNC/Drill press.

With a drill guide you should be fine, i did not use a drill guide and I had to increase my holes to 7mm for 6mm screws. Lenght should be the same for all edges of the cube if you allign your guide at the ends. You can start with 5mm for 5mm screws and increase if necessary.

@Daniel_F
Did you use locknuts right? Or some sort of gripping washer?