Hi everyone, Just received 1 of these  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8x8-64-LED-Matrix-WS2812-LED-5050-RGB-for-Arduino/32499807095.html in the mail today and am

Hi everyone,
Just received 1 of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8x8-64-LED-Matrix-WS2812-LED-5050-RGB-for-Arduino/32499807095.html in the mail today and am having trouble getting it to work.

Everything is wired correctly and there are no shorts anywhere. They list it as WS2812B LEDs on my board but on close inspection the LEDs look to be WS2811 based on them having 6 connections coming out of each LED.

They do flash on for a quick second when power is applied but after that nothing. I’ve tried changing the chipset and color ordering in FastLed and also tried the adafruit library hoping for at least something to work.

The board was free floating out of it’s anti static packaging when I opened the envelope so I’m afraid something may have been killed by static.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

The devices are not WS2812b, they are WS2812. They are just the older package style with 6 pins but are functionally identical to the WS2812b.
These things appear sturdy and I have never had problems with static but who knows !?
How are you powering that array ?

Hey, I got mine a few days ago too!

Mine were the WS2811 (despite being sold as 12 as well!).

I remember there being a post a while back about the silkscreen being backwards for DIN vs DOUT so unless you’d like to trace out the PCB (which I would actually recommend) try switching DIN and DOUT.

@JP_Roy Thanks for the response. They are being powered straight from an Uno right now with the brightness set to 50.

@Jarrod_Wagner You were exactly right. The DIN and DOUT are reversed. Thanks for the heads up on that. Sorry I didn’t think to search for the issue on here before making my post.

It was a one off post so I’m glad it solved your problems! Remember to post in show off your work when you’re done!

What are the Dimensions on these if you wouldn’t mind me asking? Looking for some matrix style Lighting for an ongoing project and Wonder if these would fit.

@Erin_Jordan ​ they’re normally 10mm spacing so 80mm x 80mm

Thanks @Jeremy_Spencer

@Erin_Jordan ​ This particular board is 65mm x 70mm.

Thanks @Brian_Lewis