Hi everyone! I'm just beginning to design a cnc machine and trying to understand

Hi everyone! I’m just beginning to design a cnc machine and trying to understand how chilipeppr works to use it as main software. I intend to use a RaspberryPi commanding an arduino (uno or mega) with easydrives for the nema 17 motors. Also considering interesting the idea of an offline version. Anyone working on it? My english is not perfect, so excuse me if I commit a lot of mistakes.

Two of many paths to look at: GRBL (GShield on Uno) and tinyG2, a port of tinyG to a Arduino Due(needs stepper drivers added). One place to look: https://github.com/synthetos
Both of these currently supported by CP

I thought TinyG2 worked with GShield too?

Correct, if you only want to drive three steppers. I am not a Gshield user, not sure if Gshield handles 3.3V input logic.

about the offline version we can not do it at the moment

@Javier_del_Alamo you would be better off just buying a TinyG, unless you have a particular reason for wanting. a Pi?

Javier, I use a Raspberry Pi to drive a TinyG and it’s really nice. Even the Printrbot machine comes with a Raspi and TinyG together out-of-the-box. The Raspi simply runs the Serial Port JSON Server and has WiFi. The TinyG plugs in over USB to the Raspi. Then you connect to the Raspi’s IP address from ChiliPeppr.

@cmcgrath5035 Thanks for the link, but Im looking to work with easydrives. Do you think Gshield is too different to make it work? To be more precise, my design is a multitool plotter that can be used as a low high cnc with the apropiate tool.

@Nuri_Erginer I’m working on this as final project of my degree, so if using it offline requires some work, I don’t mind spending some time on it. After reading the web I understand that it should be something like create and launch a node server, download the different java files for each widget and do a parse to search and substitute online paths for local paths to that java files, but wanna know in what point developement is, and try to help if I can.

@Mike_Thornbury The Pi will be used to direct an arduino, and the option of an arduino is mainly because my project is to build a machine that people can build for under 150, so it will take all my budget xD

@jlauer Happy to read that. I will post advances. I also want to thank you and all the other people that developes and contribute to Chilipeppr =)

TinyG and a Pi B+ together, including 4x Ti DRV8825 steppers is right on 147 Euro, and for that you get a bullet-proof system that has been integrated so many times that the process is well known, and is ready to use out of the box - just add the JSON server, plug the TinyG USB and connect the relevant wires…

I have added a US$4 bluetooth adapter and it’s a great combination for a DIY CNC.

I am not familiar with Easydrives, but they look to be similar. It would appear 1 Gshield is roughly equivalent to 3 EasyDrives (electrically speaking). Since you are doing a degree project, you are probably looking to develop all the system software. CP+SPJS+GRBL should give you a good benchmark for what needs to be done. The CP development environment should be ideal if you want full blown GUI. Good Luck on your project.

Hi Javier, if you want more than 750ma per stepper you’ll need the Big Easy Driver. Those are $20 each. At that point a gShield is the same price, but much nicer. I would recommend you then get an Arduino Due so you are on a 32-bit platform and don’t mess around with the under-powered 16-bit platform for the Arduino Uno. You can get a Due compatible board for $18. http://www.banggood.com/Arduino-Compatible-DUE-R3-32-Bit-ARM-With-USB-Cable-p-906466.html. Then put the TinyG2 firmware on the Due, attach the gShield, attach your NEMA steppers and you’re ready to go for $82. ($62 for gShield, $20 for Due)