Hi all, First post.

Hi all,

First post. I’m planning to build an ingentis/eustathios style printer and this is currently where I’m at. Like the idea of using seperate rods for linear/rotational movement and using linear bearings. Would also like to look into using Mutley3D’s flex3drive extruder on it. Planning to go with a belted Z with a worm drive.

Would welcome some constructive feedback. It is abit of a web of rods.

Cheers
Luke

Where are you getting those corner vertical post extrusions? I’ve never seen that kind before.

It’s interesting you’ve decided to separate the linear and rotational rods. I think the rods pulling double-duty was one of the most ingenious things about the ultimaker-style kinematics. If you do go through with this, please keep us updated. One thing I foresee when I look at this is trouble getting all the rods properly aligned. You’ve got 8 of them now, and they’re all held by individual pieces. If you were to make a combined holder for the rotating and stationary rods, that would help a lot.

@Jeff_DeMaagd It’s Misumi L shaped extrusion. http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302685320/?Inch=0

@Erik_Scott I got the idea from the “Homefac” (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/homefac-3d-printer-reprap-style).
My ideas behind it:

• Allows the use of linear bearings which also means that the xy end pieces can be more easily removed without having to take the outer shafts off.
  • Can use 10mm for the linear shaft and 8mm with a 20T pulley for the rotational shaft, which should give more than enough resolution with a direct drive approach.
  • I don’t imagine that the rotational shaft will be very alignment sensitive because they’re only used for the belts, but just my guess.
  • Can use a machined and cheaply available SK10 shaft support so should only have to worry about vertical alignment provided the frame is square.

I like the shaped extrusions as a means of providing enough space to mount the support and drive shafts in close proximity. Also, you may want to have a look at my feed to see the same idea already built :slight_smile: