Hey Thingiverse users: Are you all aware that the "things" you've published to Thingiverse

They did however copy - verbatim my description (copyrighted) without attribution onto their website.

And embedding the images out of context - well that’s lame too. Hopefully #Makerbot can block the referrer website from requesting the images. I really only want them to be viewed within the context of Thingiverse.

@Matt_Stultz

Being robbed rolling eyes - it’s free.

Once someone downloads it, they can and do share it without providing attribution. It happens regularly. Just because it might have happened a couple times today on defcad is no reason to throw a tantrum.

If defcad changed their website to accommodate you, in addition to Thingverse whose ultimately responsible for attribution and licensing because they’re hosting, then they obviously didn’t do it intentionally.

Thingverse hosts a website that allows access to your files with and without attribution. It’s not like they were hacked - they provided your info in a way that bypassed attribution, defcad just utilized it.

Calling 911 - rolling eyes again If you’re so concerned, you could call an authority, but I think you meant notifying someone who can do something about it. No one said anything about anyone having a problem with polite notifications. I said, now that the call is made, and someone is doing something, how about waiting till they get there before going on a tirade.

The idea that stealing someone’s ip is furthering the open source community is bs. These sort of actions discourage people from open source development.

Defcad is a parasitic organization that provides limited benefit and violates many creators rights.

@Michael_Audette , yeah copying your description (although I doubt is registered with any national copyright organization) verbatim, without attribution is not cool, I’m sure if you expressed your concern with them, they’d make an effort to accommodate you, as they have accommodated others who’ve contacted them. If you only want Thingverse to have them, you’ll have to use a different license, but Thingverse is pretty open source so I don’t know how that would work out. Good luck.

Because it can be done doesn’t mean it should…and if Cody was just the tinyest bit professional about it he’d not be getting backlash. He’s agreed to remove the links…I’ll give him 24 hrs to do so. I’m not all that concerned about it - but really - it’s somewhat uncool that I even have to spend time out of my busy day to request it be done.

+John Grant Can you link us to anything you have made? I would love to see some of your work. Any commits to open source software, any things posted to thingiverse, blog posts talking about some cool contraption you have made, anything would be cool.

@Camerin_hahn see - it implies to me that they can point to Thingverse without attribution, not have, take, or use the information without attribution. Hence, you obviously are having trouble with either the language or the technology. I have no idea what race you are and made no reference to your race. I don’t see how that’s racist.

"The idea that stealing someone’s ip… " that makes no sense in this context. I don’t think you know what ip means.

Badmouthing defcad now, after they went above and beyond to accommodate you is ridiculous.

@Michael_Audette - I agree, I think Cody agrees too, being that changes were made almost immediately at peoples’ request. It could have been done better to start with. It’s better now because of peoples’ suggestions/requests and Cody’s professionalism and effort. I’m sure he regrets inconveniencing you. IMHO, it’s a small price to pay for innovation.

@Matt_Stultz - based on your lack of good faith with Defcad and exaggerated injuries, I assume you want to know my contributions to use them against me in an ad hominem argument. I see no benefit for me in that case, so even if I didn’t contribute anonymously, I probably wouldn’t share them with you.

@John_Grant to be clear Cody said he would conform. Jason said it is not going to happen.

The problem is that the method that defcad used was designed to circumvent the traditional thingiverse download. This then removed the license agreement and attribution. It is and always has been defcad’s problem.

@John_Grant about what I thought. Enjoy your trolling. Those of us who have skin in the game have better things to do than write you back.

My printer is running, my lathe awaits, I’m off to actually DO something.

It is fundamentally wrong. I don’t really care about the property, I care about the method/mentality

@Camerin_hahn - If I were you, as soon as they said it was Thingverse’s issue, I wouldn’t have gotten aroused by it, but first assumed good faith that they’re being reasonable and they were right - that it was Thingverse’s issue. I then would have contacted Thingverse, and they would have fixed it. Problem solved. No mud slinging or name calling involved. Instead, you assume they have some kind of malicious mentality. You said, “It is and always has been Defcad’s problem.” Did they do something else to merit your lack of good faith?

@John_Grant " if you want your files taken down talk to thingiverse or grabcad. We simply index and don’t host any files." This is what made me mad.

I asked for the links to be taken down

I don’t think the response that response to I don’t want my stuff on Defcad to be don’t use thingiverse

Well, I guess it could have been worded more tactfully.

Here’s the thing about not having your files on defcad but keeping them on thingiverse:

Thingverse is open to anyone - to use, distribute, change etc… that includes people or organizations you don’t like. It’s inherent with Thingiverse’s mission statement - their purpose. Don’t be surprised if someone or some group you abhor is modeling your thingy that you invented. You might see your pen holder being used by some KKK leader on a magazine cover… you have no legal authority over who uses it because the GNU or Creative Commons license you published it under grants those people the authority to use it as long as they follow the rules. You have even less control over who mentions or talks about or references your thingy because there are no rules governing such things. Essentially, your request was for Defcad to change their website because you didn’t like them talking about your thingy that’s available on thingiverse. It’s a pretty brazen request. Even if they were hosting your file, the only thing you have the right to do is to tell them to follow the rules and attribute you, you would have no right to tell them to remove it. But they weren’t even doing that, they were just linking to it. If there are specific people or groups that you don’t want using or pointing at your thingies, you need to take your thingies off thingiverse. It’s the nature of thingiverse

I understand, I would have no problem if defcad had not copied everything but the name and agreement. It isn’t like they posted a link, they straight up copied.

Also if they are not hosting what added value is there. A different gui?

@Camerin_hahn - It is just a link. It’s a link directly to the file on Thingiverse’s servers instead of a link to the page on Thingiverse that links to the file. Thingiverse had the attribution info on their page just before you clicked the link to the file instead of integrated into the file or the link to the file - that was their mistake; by making the information on their servers available on the internet, it’s their responsibility to attribute the work when someone retrieves a file.

I realize that by the way it was linked it looked like the attribution was not only missing, but it appeared to be falsely attributed to, “scraper,” (the software that retrieved the direct link from thingiverse) which made the situation look bad. However, in all fairness, it all started 24 hours ago, they were actively reading and responding to emails, and actively developing. He said it’s public alpha, it’s incomplete, and they’re working license notices and attribution… and they did make significant changes just hours later so… It looks to me like a bunch of people got upset over something that was a work in progress and was about to be fixed anyway.

The added value is that grabcad thingiverse and defcad files could all be accessed in one place seamlessly. If you’re looking for, say, a pen holder - you search, and get all the results from all the sites. It adds exposure to the products for the developers, and makes a one stop shop for the makers.

We are going around and around. All in all this was poorly handled, they should have done more to protect content generators.

All in all it is just an alternative gui. I don’t care. There are more important things in this life.