Hey I'm working on an led display project involving just under 4000 LEDs per

Hey I’m working on an led display project involving just under 4000 LEDs per microcontroller (teensy 3.1) receiving data over serial/USB.

I’m hitting a bottleneck with how fast the computer can push out data, anyone know of better solutions that can push that much pixel data out at 30fps +?

If you are just using the microcontroller as a frame buffer for the LEDs - I highly recommend looking into Fadecandy - among other things, Micah’s done a lot of work to optimize the living hell out of USB transfers to get fantastic data rates - http://scanlime.org/fadecandy

Essentially, yeah. Using that would remove the need for a teensy or other arduino based MC all together right?

Pretty much (though, the Fadecandy board is, at it’s heart, a Teensy 3.0 - just running custom firmware and with hardware on the board that’s useful for WS2812’s).

Oh - I suppose that’s the other question - what kind of LEDs are you working with - Fadecandy only supports the WS2811/WS2812/WS2812B/NeoPixel leds

+2 for working with 4,000 leds!

Daniel
That’s awesome, sounds like it may be perfect for what I need then. I may have to reconfigure things a bit since right now it’s 8 panels to a Teensy, and from the looks of it a fadecandy can handle up to 512 pixels? May make sense to use 1 fadeCandy per panel.

Jon
Yes! It’s a work in progress, plan to have it ready for use by the new year. This is the project: