Hey Guys, I have been working in the 2D printing industry for many years.

Hey Guys, I have been working in the 2D printing industry for many years. I have just recently made the switch over to 3D printing and I do not have a background in engineering. HUGE learning curve… If I have questions, would this be the place to put them? For instance, I got hung up figuring out on my own why an STL file needs to bitmapped before printing. I got that one, it’s just an example…

reddit has several helpful subreddits /r/reprap and /r/3dprinting . Also, if you have a 3D Printer there are usually active communities willing to answer general questions. The reprap IRC can also be an effective place for some casual Q and A. Here probably isn’t too bad either, perhaps.

Any specific questions? Myself and many other members would most likely be more than happy to lend a helpful answer here and there.

I am working for Stratasys but lacking the basics. Web training is not enough. I am looking forward to getting some hands on soon but for now, I am stuck in 2D world of webinars… It seems most of you guys have built your own.

I recently applied for a job at Stratsys for one of the Channel Manager positions here in the Southeast.

Getting a printer on your desk does miracles… You learn as you go…

I should make one… that would definitely give me an advantage.

Making one is obsoleted to hackers nowadays, since you can get assembled ones at reasonable prices now. I would not make one, but get one and start printing stuff and set a target to print 5 models a week of increasing complexity and see what problems come your way and ask the community how they fixed those. Experiment with slicers, design software and model fixers like netfabb…