Hey guys, I had a grbl shield V3 that I was trying to get

Hey guys,

I had a grbl shield V3 that I was trying to get up and running to set up a mini laser machine. But I haven’t been able to correctly flash the firmware because I continue to get an error message. I’ve tried to set it up both within Arduino environment and outside unsuccessfully. When I reviewed the troubleshooting guide on arduino, I couldn’t find an obvious solution. On Universal G-code sender it says grbl is still booting. On CP it just says Im not connected. Any ideas? I use a 2010 Macbook Pro. It has correctly identified the right serial port and I checked the right board type.

Please paste the error message from the Arduino IDE verbatim.

Ok. I just read your response. I’ll send it to you later today. Thanks so much Justin.

I just got the errors from Arduino create on the grbl upload program, so this should be a little easier to troubleshoot:

./opt/arduino-builder/arduino-builder -compile -core-api-version 10611 -build-path /tmp/324216733/build -hardware opt/arduino-builder/hardware -hardware ./opt/cores -tools opt/arduino-builder/tools -tools ./opt/tools -built-in-libraries opt/libraries/latest -libraries /tmp/324216733/pinned -libraries /tmp/324216733/custom -fqbn arduino:avr:uno -build-cache /tmp -logger humantags -verbose=false /tmp/324216733/sketch_nov14a

Multiple libraries were found for “config.h”

Used: /tmp/324216733/custom/grbl

Not used: /home/admin/builder/opt/libraries/latest/swap-1-0-9

Not used: /home/admin/builder/opt/libraries/latest/opendevice-0-1-4

Not used: /home/admin/builder/opt/libraries/latest/gobbitlinecommand-0-0-9

Not used: /home/admin/builder/opt/libraries/latest/lora-node-1-0-1

In file included from /tmp/324216733/custom/grbl/config.h:30:0,

from /tmp/324216733/sketch_nov14a/sketch_nov14a.ino:2:

/tmp/324216733/custom/grbl/grbl.h:68:4: error: #error “Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined.”

#error “Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined.”

^

/tmp/324216733/custom/grbl/grbl.h:108:4: error: #error “WCO refresh must be greater than one.”

#error “WCO refresh must be greater than one.”

^

/tmp/324216733/custom/grbl/grbl.h:111:4: error: #error “Override refresh must be greater than zero.”

#error “Override refresh must be greater than zero.”

This error is the one that was highlighted in the red error code when I tried again to compile it:

/tmp/324216733/custom/grbl/grbl.h:68:4: error: #error “Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined.”

@George_Allen
sorry for the delay in replying. It looks to me as though you are not using the right example file to compile the firmware. or perhaps you have multiple versions of the grbl firmware in the compile path.

my workflow is:

1. ensure that there are no other grbl versions in the arduino tree.
  2. copy the firmware I want into downloads or desktop.
  3. use the IDE to ingest the firmware zip (Menu->Sketch->Include Library->Add .ZIP Library)
  4. go to File->Examples->Grbl->grblUpload
  5. edit config.h (be sure to edit the right one …) as needed for my setup (typically I just turn echo on to be sure I’m not losing chars through wonky serial)
  6. upload to board.

If you want, send me the config.h file and let me know what version you want and I will compile a version for you. you can then upload with avrdude rather than the IDE.

Ok. That was no delay in my book. Let me look at your work flow and follow it. If I don’t get it corrected I’ll send you the config file. I will also be able to narrow down the issue before giving you busy work I should have handled on my own. I’m still very new to the arduino environment and VERY new to any type of coding.