Hey guys did you see the new Da Vinci Junior.

OK, I concede this is a mark against the Da Vinci, I have had to cancel the slicing portion of the print process at 8:32pm, that’s about 16 hours. I set it to Excellent, medium (25%) infill, .1mm vertical step, shells normal (don’t know what that does), speed low, auto repair on, 100% of size. The .stl file is about 9mb I think. I’ll try again with lower specifications.

I redid the print process using ‘good’, auto repair off, density 5%, layer height .3mm, shells normal, speed standard and the slicing process took 16minutes. Still pretty slow but at least it is going to print something.

@John_Penney ​ pls link to the file you mentioning.

@Ruald_Andreae This is Louise Driggers’s ‘Aria the Dragon’ - https://www.youmagine.com/designs/aria-the-dragon I have completed a print at default settings and started a new post. However, I’m very new to 3d printing and G+ so I’m sure something will go wrong. If you can’t find the new post shortly, re-post here.

@John_Penney I think something went wrong with that first attempt because I was able to slice with XYZ in about 10 minutes on 0.1mm slowest, normal shells, 30%density. Took about the same time on the excellent setting (0.2). I’ll maybe print this tonight.

@Ruald_Andreae I suspect you are right, although it all looked normal. I wonder if the ‘auto repair’ is an issue? It only appeared in the latest software update. I had some issues earlier using 0.1mm layers, but it affected the actual print not the slice time. It’s hard to keep track of what caused what.

The Aria print actually looks pretty good, the photos show the worst of it. The 0.1mm version is printing now, it looks smoother. Estimate was a bit over 4 hours.

I’m very happy with the printer. I have found I need to let the platform cool to near room temperature before removing the object, it sticks very tightly otherwise.

I have sold a lot of kits at $299 & $349… I can tell you with great certainty that this clientele is quite demanding and price conscience. They sometimes have unrealistic expectations and require a lot of customer support. With slim margins, this creates a difficult business model. I don’t think anyone’s machines are ready for the masses yet. Software hasn’t caught up and it’s just not simple yet. The xyz stuff up close is kinda crappy and feels cheap.

I am not worried.

Brook

I have no respect for a company driving in trying to disrupt the market selling cheaply priced printers at presumably a loss in order to make their money back on overpriced filament.

DaVinci can crawl back in the hole they came from

@John_Penney ​’s Aria post:

https://plus.google.com/103275429789607440798/posts/B2DFL56RGHe

If I have time in the next couple days I’ll try to print this myself even though my printer is so heavily modified that it may not represent anything comparative.

I have a Da Vinci 1.0 as well, and have had my fair share of issues. I’ve used Stratasys/Fortus machines at work for years so I’m very familiar with their operation. I chose the Da Vinci for the out of the box use aspect. I didn’t have time to home build (with a little one in the house, who likes to be right in the middle of everything I’m doing). I was not expecting great quality…but all I need is some consistency. The Da Vinci has that when its works…but I’m already on my second machine within the 1 year warranty period and have found another issue with the heating element in this one. I’m thinking cheap electronics…

Here’s mine at 150 micron layers with a 0.35 mm nozzle in PLA. Could use some extrusion and retraction tweaks.

http://instagram.com/p/yi0dslu0dh/

I want this 3D printer what is the peoses. … can you send me broser