Hey friends, I see a lot of talk about Arduino (and this being a

Hey friends,

I see a lot of talk about Arduino (and this being a primarily Arduino-based project from the start) but I’m trying to control my WS2812B strip from a Linux OS on my RaspberryPi - is it possible to just recompile the library on the given OS, and then send the signals via appropriate GPIO pins?

I’m more or less just looking for clarity as to whether or not something in this library is making it Arduino-exclusive!

Thanks all

No, it doesn’t work that way. Linux can’t do timing in a way that makes it possible to run FastLED correctly with results you would accept.

You can make it work with SPI based strips and a little effort (or finding the github with the port already done). Neopixels will also work with a host of network capable micros (Espressif based, Particle.io) if networking is your concern. And works well with a host of other non Arduino micros as well.

@Peter_Buelow Thanks Peter! Will continue to explore my options - looking to DIY a low-latency Ambilight project

Check out the fadecandy. A very robust controller with great Linux support and speaks usb. As others noted, you can only hook up directly to Linux if you get certain string type, or you get a controller like the fc to do the last mile for you.

@Nathan_R1 Adafruit published an Ambilight clone, called Adalight. It works with most Arduino boards if you use a fairly small number of LEDs, limited mostly by the communication speed and memory. A few years ago I implemented it with OctoWS2811 for many more LEDs. https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/OctoWS2811/blob/master/examples/Adalight/Adalight.ino