Hey all,  Recently Cody Wilson printed his first 3D printed gun - >  http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/cody-wilsons-fully-3d-printed-gun-works-alarmingly-well

I don’t know what’s all the fuss about this. You can produce the same product (lets say a gun), many times cheaper and faster with a mill. I won’t even talk about accuracy and quality which is far far better than printed. And Id place a bet the milled product would be many times safer.

As the owner and operator of both cnc mills lathes and 3d printer I can say 3d printing is far overrated, at least at the moment. Is it useful, sure, but not that much that is talked about.

IMHO, I’ve seen guns in different forms for years, only difference from this case is the authors haven’t gone public with the plans. So in my opinion really nothing new, maybe only new marketing approach/strategy.

@Aaron_Eiche and @Felix_Reitberger - Can I use some of your comments and names for an article I’m writing? All of you (well most) have given me a really good idea on a fresh angle on this issue. Thanks!

Gun control is more about proper social conditions (not conditioning), rather than specific technological blocks… At least that’s how governments need to think about the problem. You can’t stop these plans from getting out. You can’t stop the printers from becoming more sophisticated and easy to access. You can educate the public, and you can build stronger communities.

@Ty_Hooper You’re welcome to use anything I’ve said here. (and hopefully it will sound like I meant it to :slight_smile: )

Of course @Aaron_Eiche . And @Nathan_Ryan - good point, I’m not sure the government has figured a way to address the problem yet!

@Nathan_Ryan Would you be okay if I used your last comment for an article I’m writing on the issue? Thanks!