Here is a little progress on My Eustathios Spider V2 upgrades.

Thanks @Tim_Rastall

What are people thoughts on linear unregulated power supplies. Seems like a lot of the Serious CNC guys like them over switching supplies.

just wanted to say that… i have much, so much, to learn. i was thinking i’d just be putting everything together. :smiley: grabs notebook and takes more notes

@Seth_Messer Haha, when it comes to electronics, my eyes kinda gloss over and I just want someone to tell me “put wire here, here, and here.” It’s the mechanics that I enjoy. But yes, It’s really fun to follow everything that’s happening in this community.

@Eclsnowman ​​ different use case I think. Cnc machines use stand alone stepper drivers connected directly to the psu. As soon as they are enabled they pull a pretty constant current so a linear psu will serve them well. Particularly as linears have really flat, noise free outputs. Linears are huge and heavy (compared to switching). Good link here: https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=iavmVIHZOpWD8gXK44CYDg&url=https://www.valuetronics.com/Manuals/Lambda_%20linear_versus_switching.pdf&ved=0CBoQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFZD2MSnu_t-e2z0fGCNHjnTlaDCw&sig2=GuR95Hwad1QawXBVS2_hLQ

No doubt. I love this stuff. My main passion is in software and wood working. I can’t wait to get the parts going to add 3d printing to the mix. Then I imagine cnc will be next. :slight_smile:

@Tim_Rastall thanks.

P.S. how do you always know so dang much.

@Eclsnowman ​ I’m just good at rapidly assimilating information. Plus I’ve been into printers since 2011. Absorbing information is one of those things that seems to get better as you get older ime. :slight_smile: Anyway, now you know what I know and in a year’s time someone will be asking you how you know so darn much (if not before).

@Eclsnowman I currently run a Rigidbot Regular and the default replacement 24v PWS suggested for the Rigidbrick (360w) is the Meanwell line. Their reliability is well tested. I have 2, a 400 and a 600 (For my next build, a 24 x 24 x 24" Build Volume Dual E3D Volcano unit)
As for PWS’s, Linears have a high idle current draw compared to switchers, which only output when a load demand is sensed. So if you are concerned about power bills, go with a switcher.

@Eclsnowman I really like what you did here - thanks for sharing all your work. I’ve just started ordering and printing parts for my Eustathios build and try to hold back on those I think are effected by your changes. No pressure, but I can’t wait to see the next iteration :wink:

The first bits of my hardware just came in. Only the corner gussets and screws and E3D v6 hotend. Reusing stepper nema17 motors and control board from my 2up. I consider this being committed now. @Eclsnowman Whats the new ETA for the final design?

@Eclsnowman ​ you might want to consider some printed guards for the exposed pulleys/belts, curious little fingers and all that :slight_smile:

@Tim_Rastall good idea.

@Gus_Montoya ​ I am working on it. Just a balancing act between work, family, and printers.

What length belts are you using for the X and Y steppers? I guess there’s a bit of freedom by moving the steppers closer/further away?

@Tim_Rastall ​ I was thinking about guards/coverings for the X and Y stepper belts as well, though more for aesthetic reasons.

@Oliver_Seiler ​ I think so. It’s just like the current design, just closer and external.

@Oliver_Seiler if you look at my Herculien BOM, that’s what I had planned.

Hi @Eclsnowman , is it safe to order the frame based on the part numbers from your github? Lien3D_Eustathios_Spider/Drawings/Eustathios_Frame.SLDDRW
That has not changed from the looks of it.

@Gus_Montoya it has changed slightly, the hole locations are different, and rod and leadscrews are longer.

ic, ok then I’ll wait on that too.

Hi @Eclsnowman , hows this coming along? Anything standardized now that I can order?

I have been sick recently, so I fell behind on my timeline. I am not finalized yet, I appreciate your patience and it should be worth the wait.