Here is a corner bracket for anyone that needs them

Here is a corner bracket that I designed. You can customize them since it is in OpenSCAD.

3 Likes

I added an optional support layer under the horizontal holes. You can tell it your layer height so that it is sure to get 1 or however many support layers in that you want. This would not be possibly if it was not for Makers Muse: Design Tips for Support Free 3D Printing Models (FDM) https://youtu.be/SBHHwid7DWM?t=587.

If anyone has any tips for me to clean up the Customizer options, please let me know. I am not used to it. I want some yes/no or on/off options, for example.

https://customizer.makerbot.com/docs

You can use labeled values for a dropdown. I don’t know whether they fixed the really annoying lack of booleans. You’ll want to try:

add_hole_support="true"; //"true","false"]
            if (add_hole_support == "true") {

…becomes either:

add_hole_support=true; // [true:Yes, false:No]
            if (add_hole_support) {

…or, if they failed to add booleans, I suggest that string compare leads to bugs over time:

add_hole_support=1; // [1:Yes, 0:No]
            if (add_hole_support == 1) {

That said, the hole support in the current model doesn’t look to me like it’s working. Can you describe in words the effect you are attempting to acheive?

I just checked that boolean parameters work in the customizer support built into the current release candidate of OpenSCAD. I don’t know whether thinigiverse supports that though.

I have confirmed for myself that the hole support works. You start by setting the layer height which will then become the thickness of the support. Where there is to be a hole in a horizontal surface and a void below that makes a bridge necessary (I added this to let me avoid support material), you can use this feature so that the bottom of the hole is a solid layer. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a cut away image. Just ignore the hole in the vertical surface and the hole at the bottom since this hole support option does not effect them. It will also not make sense to use the hole support if you rotate the STL file so that the bottom is no longer the bottom.
hole_support_cut_away

Oh, just not what I’m used to thinking when I see “support” — that’s why I asked. Yes, I see it.

Yeah. “Bridging hole support” is perhaps better wording.
I think I failed to hook all of the parameters up to the Configurator. I used your advice and now I seem to have proper results. I am using 1,0 instead of true,false but I believe “if(1)” works just like “if(true)”.

1 Like

This is no long a “thing in progress”. I do believe my design work on it is done.

It seems you have better luck printing this without support using Cura if you turn the print 45 degrees. That will make the bridging take the shortest distance on both sides of the part.