HercuLien first test prints. Calibration is needed... But a good start.

@Oystein_Krog I did not mean to cast aspersions on bowden tube systems. Ultimaker is famous for having fast, high quality prints, and both v1 and v2 use bowden tube extruders.

That being said, I find it odd that no slicing engines take the bowden tube length into account. But perhaps such a thing would be very hard to calculate and/or have negligible benefit (or maybe even cause more problems than it solves).

EDIT: because the main problem with bowden tube extruders is hysteresis (basically, lag), but with the main benefit being a lesser-mass carriage that can go faster it can probably run without any retraction at all (which may quasi-negate the hysteresis problem) and still yield good results.

@SirGeekALot You have a point with ultimaker.
Actually there is a guy (edit; Illuis) that has made and is still working on a version/fork of slic3r that does take bowden tube lag into account. It’s a little bit similar to the old advance algorithm (that never seems to have worked for anyone), except this seems to help a lot with prints.
I can probably dig up the link, it can be found in the slic3r github repo pull requests/issues.
Edit:

His images shows a marked improvement (for his setup).

@Oystein_Krog nice find! I hope they can get it integrated into Slic3r (and Marlin). I may have missed it, but I did not see anything regarding the length of the bowden tube. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the source of the hysteresis (i.e. - increased bowden tube length == increased hysteresis).

BTW, my apologies @Eclsnowman for highjacking your post–I feel like we’ve gone way off-topic here.

@SirGeekALot I like the conversations. I say chat-on.

I’ve seen that the ultimaker can do 100mm/s but is happy at 80mm/s. those are fast speeds but still, some printers can go faster.

@Eclsnowman i’m sure that your new puppy can do 100mm/s easy ?

@Jean-Francois_Coutur the hard part is cooling & extruding reliably at really high speed. The gantry mechanics is the easy part.

@Eclsnowman Have you seen the cooling solutions where they use pumps and tubes to provide airflow?
I’m wondering if that kind of solution and perhaps even some way of pushing refrigerated/cooled air would work at super-high speeds :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried that… used a aquarium water pump… wasn’t very effective.

@Eclsnowman maybe this could help on the extruder heating part ? https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin#autotemp

@Jean-Francois_Coutur thanks. I forgot about that feature.

@Jean-Francois_Coutur pumps are tough due to static pressure loss across lengths of small ID tube. You get higher pressures… But very small cfm so not much volume to handle the btu load to take plastic below the tg temp.

Maybe a compressed cylinder and step down regulator, but who wants that cost.

At one point, I wanted to try my air tool compressor… but yeah… I didn’t want a 20 gallons / 5HP compressor by my side when printing :wink:

I think turbine fans (right name? I keep getting that mixed up) can push more air than the regular fans.

AKA Squirrel Cage Fans? https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=squirrel%20cage%20fan

@Mike_Miller I’m at my full PC now…I meant to say Centrifugal fan, but yes, that looks like another name for the same thing.

I bought 4 of these a few months ago. One of these days I will get around to actually installing one on my 3d printer.

Imgur