Hey all. I’ve been away from this community for a while. I was an early Eustathios builder back in the Google+ days, but since that all disappeared, I ended up kinda drifting away.
In any case, I’ve been getting a bit sick with the inconsistent bowden extrusion on my printers (When I print 4 perimeters, the inner perimeters under extrude while the outer ones over extrude) so I figured it would be time to start thinking about giving a direct-drive extruder a shot on one of my printers. A brief look through these forums seemed to indicate there wasn’t an available direct drive mod ready-to-go, so I figured I’d have a go at designing my own around the E3D Hemera. @Maxime_Favre seemed to have the beginnings of something similar going, but I don’t think he released anything.
I’ve managed to design a carriage that uses 5 of the 8 mounting points on the Hemera (data sheet says only two are required, though that seems low to me) and fits a 40x40x20 blower. Much of the cooling duct geometry is
shamelessly stolen borrowed from the v2.5 carriage.
- Maximum extents in the X direction is 78.5mm
- Maximum extents in the Y direction is 88mm (excluding the press-fit bearings)
- The nozzle tip is 55.2 mm below the centerline of the lower cross-rod.
Some pics of the CAD are shown below. This represents about 2 nights of work.
I’d love to get some feedback on possible improvements. I’m sure there are ways to optimize the design, but I think I’ve knocked out all the obvious (to me) stuff.