Hello! Please, give me link or write some words about palettes customization.

fastled-support
gplus
(варешяф рйезот) #1

Hello! Please, give me link or write some words about palettes customization.
I’m understand this:
DEFINE_GRADIENT_PALETTE( ib_jul01_gp ) {
0, 194, 1, 1,
128, 1, 29, 18,
255, 113, 1, 1};
First column - it is “coordinates” from 0 to 255, where to put color. Color data - it is next 3 columns.
In example above: start(0) palette at zero position with RGB 194:1:1
In middle (128) - RGB value 1:29:18
At the end (255) - RGB value 113:1:1
All colors between this coordinates FastLED will calculate themselves.

I found another way to define custom pallete:
CRGBPalette16 gPal1_p = CRGBPalette16( CRGB::Black, CRGB::Blue, CRGB::Aqua, CRGB::White);
As I understand - I can put just FOUR colors. If I put more - there are compile errors.

But in FastLED source code pallettes definitions are make with one else more way:
http://fastled.io/docs/3.1/colorpalettes_8cpp_source.html

43 extern const TProgmemRGBPalette16 LavaColors_p FL_PROGMEM =
44 {
45 CRGB::Black,
46 CRGB::Maroon,
47 CRGB::Black,
48 CRGB::Maroon,
50 CRGB::DarkRed,
51 CRGB::Maroon,
52 CRGB::DarkRed,
54 CRGB::DarkRed,
55 CRGB::DarkRed,
56 CRGB::Red,
57 CRGB::Orange,
59 CRGB::White,
60 CRGB::Orange,
61 CRGB::Red,
62 CRGB::DarkRed
63 };

Here is 4 groups with 4 or 3 values group.
Please, tell me what is mean?

Aslo, I found one more way to define palettes:

const TProgmemRGBPalette16 gPal1_p FL_PROGMEM =
{
Ice_Blue1, Ice_Blue1, Ice_Blue1, Ice_Blue1,
Ice_Blue2, Ice_Blue2, Ice_Blue2, Ice_Blue3
};

Four groups and four values each.
How this will calculated in gradient from 0 to 255?

Thanks!

(Jeff Hannan) #2

Under the covers, a palette is actually an array of 16 CRGB objects. As you found, there are a few ways to create one. The first two methods use interpolation to determine the 16 RGB values, while the last two methods assign them directly.

(варешяф рйезот) #3

@Jeff_Hannan Is it possible to assign not all 16 CRGB objects, but just 4, or 7 or 15?
Would it been “remapped” to all 0…255 gradient width like it process with DEFINE_GRADIENT_PALETTE command?

(варешяф рйезот) #4

And one more question: Is there any way to make palette, witch I can change dynamically while playing animation? I want to change palette with web browser with ESP8266 controller.
Please, give me piece of code, that can change palette while playing animation (for example - Fire2012 sketch)
Something like this:
DEFINE_GRADIENT_PALETTE( Var_Pal )
{
0, v1_1, v1_2, v1_3,
128, v2_1, v2_2, v2_3,
255, v3_1, v3_2, v3_3,
};

How do I need to set palette or CRGB array?

In other part of code I will change vX_Y vars, I know how to do this. But I don’t know how and what I need to initialize, for have ability use this in code like “standard FastLED palette” and change it while playing.

I want to pick colors for palette for my animation with web, and then I will hard-code it to something like DEFINE_GRADIENT_PALETTE( Var_Pal )
Thanks a lot!

(Andreas Hopf) #5

Google+ is not a nice place to post code, but it actually is quite easy

DEFINE_GRADIENT_PALETTE(testPalette) {
0, 33, 55, 153,
25, 80, 119, 197,
89, 153, 215, 250,
95, 199, 233, 252,
102, 255, 255, 255,
120, 197, 219, 240,
147, 150, 187, 223,
200, 159, 171, 172,
255, 169, 154, 128
};

CRGBPalette16 activePalette = testPalette;

because this works very well with only two colours or twenty three colours, also great with palettes fetched from here http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/nd/atmospheric/tn/Sunset_Real.png.index.html with the FastLED palette knife method.

(варешяф рйезот) #6

@Andreas_Hopf Thanks a lot! I think, that DEFINE_GRADIENT_PALETTE and CRGBPalette16 - are very different methods and it is not so easy to use them. I find many examples. but no one use this methods together.
Very well! I think this would help me very well ))
Sorry for pore English. Thanks one time more!

(Marc Miller) #7

@fa25514ad7a4d6321c2d Here is another example for you.

(варешяф рйезот) #8

@marmil , Thank you! That is all I need! You hit the mark! ))
I don’t want to make new topic, but may be you can help me one more time?! :slight_smile:
does FastLED able to map CRGB arrays like “map” function?
I mean next: I want to copy large part of leds array to smaller one.
[ leds(10,19) = leds(0,9) ] will work, i know.
But is there any way to copy
[ leds(10,19) = leds(0,5) ] with interpolation? I need result like map function [ map(leds, 10, 19, 0, 5) ]

I put 3 led strips physically parallel each one, but connected serial on data line. Left strip is 20 leds, middle - 30, right - 20. Middle start, then data go to left (left is upside down), and then data go to right strip.
I’m calculating animation just for middle strip and then copy [ leds(5,25) = leds(50,31); leds(5,25) = leds(51,70) ]
But I think, that if I will not just copy, but if MAP!!! leds data - it would be more beautify.
Thanks. Sorry for pore English.

(Marc Miller) #9

@fa25514ad7a4d6321c2d That’s an interesting problem. I have not seen any sort of “CRGB mapping” function before. You might have to create your own. Maybe process the individual R, G, B channels with map functions and then create the new color. Or maybe create custom gradients per frame based on certain pixels from the center strip using fill_gradient function.

http://fastled.io/docs/3.1/group___colorutils.html

Looking forward to seeing some photos or video of your project when finished.

(варешяф рйезот) #10

@marmil I will post my completed code.
All I want is to make animation “wide”
Look to link and you will understand.
I need palettes, because I want not standard look of Fire effect. I want different colors and I take Jason Coon’s code for wi-fi, for web interface to change vars to see how I need to setup palette to look well.
I’m very pore programmer. I know a little, because I’m interesting with addressable leds about 5 years and I read many-many code of projects. Also I read C books, but my brain doesn’t take info as was 15-20 years ago )
For me - C was made for simplifying FastLED coding LOL.
I can not make my own function for CRGB mapping. It is too difficult for me.
May be we will see it in future versions of FastLED library )
For now, I will just copy one part of array to other.
Also, I will try to duplicate “fire” procedure to light other strip parts, but I’m not sure that it will looks fine.
Thanks for your examples and help!
Sorry for pore English.