Hello, my name is Silvia,

Hello, my name is Silvia, I am a student and I’m planning to build my own Truggy with the help of some partners.We have access to a 3Dprinter, but we are a bit loose about the control. I’d like to know which technology does it use for controlling the motors, I mean the main controller(the board).

Thanks for your attention :slight_smile:

Renier, first of all, thanks for your answer.
I am new over here, and I am a bit loose about the components acquisition, please could you pass me the link of that pre-programmed brain?

The stock truggy doesn’t really have a brain. Since it is a simple RC car and not an autonomous vehicle it has a receiver and motor controller. The motor controller has a little smarts and can be adjusted a little bit, but I wouldn’t call it a brain. The person driving the car is the brain. That being said you could use the truggy as a platform to put any number of things on it. Several people are working on similar ideas including myself.

@Renier_Wijnen Sounds cool. What is the range of bluetooth? I have not really used it much.

@Renier_Wijnen that is a great improve!
I have one more question.
In the original BOM they talk about “Standard 1:10 motor rated for 4WD” like this one:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=25138%20@%20HobbyKing.com
How many do we have to buy?

@Silvia_Nunez ,
@Renier_Wijnen comment is a little misleading and I don’t think it was intended to be that way. You only need one motor and motor controller for the drive of the truggy. The steering is done with a hobby servo and that does not need a motor controller. Hobby servos are technically servo motors but they have everything built into a single package and are very easy to work with.

So you will need a motor and controller, like the one you linked, for the drive. And a hobby servo for steering. The servo plugs directly into your receiver, and the motor controller plugs into the receiver. I would recommend getting a waterproof hobby servo if you plan on driving this thing where it might get a little muddy.

Hope that helps

@Renier_Wijnen , yeah It just sounded a little confusing. I don’t like calling a hobby servo a motor because it doesn’t really act like a motor. It has a motor in it, but there is a lot of other things. It has its own controller built in and does not have continuous rotation. A hobby servo has about 200 degrees of rotation and you send it a pwm signal and it goes to a set angle and stays there. If you change the signal then the servo changes the angle. This is really good for steering because you just connect it to the wheels and the servo changes the angle of the wheel. So while it has a motor inside, a hobby servo is very different from a motor.

It sounds like a lot of this is new to @Silvia_Nunez and I don’t want people to be chased off because it sounds complex. Honestly, you plug a servo in and you can steer your wheels. There is not programming, no wiring. Plug a servo into a receiver and you can control it with your transmitter. It is that simple.

Make sure that if you get a brushed motor to get a brushed speed control and not a brushless one. Also the speed control would have to be waterproof as well if you wanted to get the truggy wet.