Hello, Looking for some guidance on to program parallel led strips Instead of having

Hello,

Looking for some guidance on to program parallel led strips

Instead of having a single long line of leds, looking to have multiple branches
, they either criss cross or double back etc,

Hence instead if a making a light travel down a “path” on one led strip, It need to travel down multiple branches, and at times step over parts of a branch

Any suggestions on methods to approach this?

Cheers

Do you want them doing the same thing, or each one with it’s own unique pattern?
Is each one connected to a separate data pin?

Can you share a sketch of the layout for clarity?

Did you see these FastLED examples?

@marmil

Hello Marc, Thanks for the links. Ill look to learn from them (I think I have a fair amount of catchup :slight_smile: . )

Below sketch might assist. 1st diagram is complete layout. 2nd is it broken into two branches so no overlap. 3rd illustrates segments between joints.

Movement may travel across branches, or different segments in same branch.

For example B --> E --> A --> D

Ideally would like to make it so point travels along a segment, and then chooses the next segment randomly according to whats available (and then repeat travel / choose segment path etc )

For example when traveling form A --> D, the available choices for next segment are either E or C

Cheers

That’s an interesting coding challenge. I think you can wire everything up as just a few (two?) strings because it’s all going to get sorted out/routed in code, so make the wiring as easy for you as possible.

How many pixels are you thinking?
How long is a side, say A to B?

I feel like I saw this sort of thing before (pattern moving up to a joint and then randomly going one way or the other) but can’t remember if it was by someone here or I saw it elsewhere. It looked really cool though. :slight_smile: @Andrew_Tuline do you remember this sort of a display? It was in an infinity cube or dodecahedron or something.

Haha, or maybe it /was/ Andrew that shared it. :stuck_out_tongue:

@marmil Was thinking about 16 pixels per segment

Because it’s a fairly small number of pixels overall, mapping the whole thing might be an option to consider.

Here’s a page to initially help lay things out and explain the concept.
https://macetech.github.io/FastLED-XY-Map-Generator/

Another example

And an alternate form of mapping where only the x,y coordinate of a pixel is put into an array.

Or you might come up with your own tricky way to route things around your layout. Like I mentioned though, however you physically lay it out and wire it shouldn’t really matter. All the trickiness will be done in code.

@marmil Thank very much for the links - very useful. Any pointers
for process overviews when doing 3d arrays?

Have run across various stories in #d Cubes etc - the tricky part is sorting the wheat from the Chaff…

Cheers