Hello! i'm quite new in this group and i've read alot,

gplus
(Jeroen van Dorsten) #1

Hello!

i’m quite new in this group and i’ve read alot, seen alot of very beautifull stuf over here.
i tried some of the codes, and make it work, even though i understand just like 5 procent of the code, but you guys make it fun and very interesting to get to know much more by sharing codes…

i really need some advice on the following project

I’m not shure what would be the best board and shield to make a 6000 led setup.
it is going to be an 20 x 300 LEDstrip matrix. :slight_smile:

i prefer to connect each strip of 300 LEDs on a separate outputs on board like the octows2811 or adafruit smart matrix and connect these shields to a wemos LOLIN D32 pro v2, but i’m not shure if this is possible.

The matrix wil be controlled via Artnet (35 universes) or will be used to play a FastLed noise like code…

I’ve seen Yves Bazin kick ass big setup, but is there another way to control 6000 ws2812 LEDS…

The power distrubution is already clear, i just need to know what the best and easiest way is to control the data…

TIA!

Jeroen!

I will upload a video of one of the 20 tubes in need to install

(X-WL) #2

To use the artnet you will need 36 universes. however it will be very inconvenient to do mapping. I’m currently working on a version of the Artnet device on esp32, which will also work with the game site. However, I ran into the problem when, after a while, my Esp32 freezes and does not send data to the diodes. The branch Sam.

(Jeroen van Dorsten) #3

Is it hard to fix the mapping in Resolume for instance?

(Jeroen van Dorsten) #4

missing/deleted image from Google+

(Jeroen van Dorsten) #5

One of the 20 strips

(Yves BAZIN) #6

@Jeroen_van_Dorsten to control 6000 via artnet it’s possible I do it with 35 universes which can be extend to 64.
@X-WL1 is right doing the mapping could be a mess that is why I have created a program that generates the mapping for me. I have running program for glediator and working on the jinx version.

(Yves BAZIN) #7

@X-WL1 let me know if you want me to look at your code. In the new version of my artnet library I have implemented buffering too

(Yves BAZIN) #8

@Jeroen_van_Dorsten on my esp32 set up I use the same principle of the octows2811 except for 16 outputs.
I have a new version of the fastled which can manage up to 21 parallel output now if you want to test

(Jeroen van Dorsten) #9

@Yves_BAZIN I guess i’ll have to make myself a 20 output version to connect :slight_smile: and yes not 35 but 36 universes (35,29).
As i will use a different kind of setup (LEDs controlled by Resolume software) will it still be hard to map the LEDS?

(Yves BAZIN) #10

@Jeroen_van_Dorsten it’s up to 21 so u can use only 20 :). But you will have to build the board like I did. You would need 5. RJ45 connector for your 20strips.
I don’t know Resolume but I could have a look at itmissing/deleted image from Google+

(Jeroen van Dorsten) #11

@Yves_BAZIN So basically the octows2811 adapter is the best board to connect this amount of strips.

Thanks for your reply’s. This info really helps me out! Cheers!
Now i can start en get myself in to a lot of headspinning and figuring out :slight_smile:

Btw. Resolume is VJ software , Club and show orientated. only i’m not sending video data to a screen or beamer, but to a lot of lights (fixtures) LEDs which is going to be my screen via Artnet. also i would like to control the matrix with a Lighting console via Artnet.

(Yves BAZIN) #12

@Jeroen_van_Dorsten this one is the pcb I have done based on the same principle as the octows2811 which is a level shifter 74hc245 and two rj45 here I have double this to handle 16 parallel outputs https://hackaday.io/project/158268-5904-leds-panel

(Jeroen van Dorsten) #13

@Yves_BAZIN wow, so you just made your own version of the octoboard? is it possible to use the original octoboards and stack them

(X-WL) #14

@Jeroen_van_Dorsten do the mapping possible. I can do this if necessary. But I would send 2 universes per 1 page and 40 universes would be needed. it’s much easier.

(X-WL) #15

@Yves_BAZIN code examples from your implementation cause me to DevideByZero :))) however I also noticed that sometimes skip some left data to one of the bands.

(Yves BAZIN) #16

@X-WL1 which one ?
May I see your code ?

(X-WL) #17

@Yves_BAZIN
Please see: https://github.com/X-WL/Artnet-NODE Debugging in Serial can be seen that at a certain point a failure occurs in a Task FastLEDshowESP32().

(Yves BAZIN) #18

@X-WL1 hello
This function Only calls the fastled.show on the second core
So I am pretty surprised of a 0 division here. Which version of the fastled library are u using ?
Then it will be faster to use the same method as in me example for calling the fastened.show() in the example
https://github.com/hpwit/artnet/blob/master/examples/exampleArtnet/exampleArtnet.ino it’s implemented like you can receive other packet while displaying.

(Yves BAZIN) #19

@X-WL1 why do you have num_strips = 9 ?
You have declared on 8 strips in the Fastled.add(leds) …

(X-WL) #20

@Yves_BAZIN Branch @Sam_Guyer . DevideByZero appears in your example ArtNetWiFiNeoPixel. In my implementation, there is no problem with this, but there is a problem when the Call code fastledshowesp32() hangs and instead of 6ms spends 200. In this case, ARTNET packages are accepted, but not displayed.